89 Merc question Please help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by MuDD_Cat23, Apr 26, 2009.

1. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes i have a older Merc. and i had the carb. rebuilt last year and have taking it out numerious times all through out this winter and i fished in a bass torney the other week and the boat ran fine, then 2 days ago i took it out and it was a pain to start i had to turn the tiller arm all the way to the forward pos. to get it to start and it ran fine for about 500 yards then all of a sudden it started cutting out and turning off and i looked at the gas bulb and it was drawed up really tight so i tight i couldnt even pump it so im thinking the gas is getting cut off to the motor so can anyone tell me whats wrong so i can get it fixed also when i was able to pump it when it was off theres a little pin hole in the top left of the carb as if u were looking at it and gas would shoot out of it and also gas would shoot off of the post inside the carb which i belive is normal. i belive i need to try a new gas line and gas take cause there might be a hole in it and making it where it wont draw up in it and the vent was all the way open on the gas tank thanks in advance for any help

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If your bulb was drawn flat then you have a blockage either at the pick up inside the tank or the fiting at the tank is gone or your buld has a check valve slamed shut.

3. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    so do u think i need to replace the whole tank, fitting and bulb and gas line and also what is a buld or did u mean to say bulb

4. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Had that happen to me on a 85 hp evinrude. The vent on top the gas lid was closed.. opened it up and never had a problem again

5. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    HAHA yeah i looked at my vent and i had it screwed all the way out i dont know if maybe thats what it was and was allowing too much air in or what

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You cn't get to much air into those tanks. Yes I was talking about a bulb fingers got to big.. I would take the pickup line out of the tank and ck it because they have a small screen on them that are bad about stopping up/

7. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bubba- Sure am glad to see you back- You and Bobpaul are my favorite things on the BOC

8. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bubba how do i take the pick up tube out the gas tank all this stuff is too new to me i dont know how to work on these things if it was a motorcycle it would be a different story and what exactly is a bulb finger

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Can you post a picture of the tank and where the line fits into the tank. It should be screwed into the tank.

10. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    No i cant my digi camra is messed up but if i get what your saying where the fitting that my gas line is on where it connects to the 2 prongs that come out off the black thing on my gas tank all i have to do is unscrew it and look at the hose and check it out

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    shane, where the connection is, it's the plate under it on top the tank you have to pull up. be carefull and try not to break the gasket. hose bubba is talking about is under that sticking into tank i believe.
    gary

12. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Alright well ive replaced the whole fuel line and bulb and check everything out with my tank and that all is working ive hooked it up to another boat and it was working fine its just acting like its flooding out and taking too much gas and the whole time it is running there is a little hole on top of the carb. on the left side if your looking at it and gas is coming out of it do i need to have it rebuilt is the float stuck what in the world is going on

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If the fuel is coming out of that hole the take it off and clean and rebuild. It may just have some trash under the needle seat or the needle may be disfigured'