89 Johnson 70 hp oil questions

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, Feb 13, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I just bought this boat, and it has a seperate resevoir for oil. The resevoir also has a bulb on it, and it looks like some electrical wires going to the top. I am assuming this engine automatically mixes the oil to the correct ratio, but I am not positive. Is there anything I should be doing with the bulb on the resevoir? I have tried to find the ratio but can't find it anywhere. Never had an engine before with this seperate resevoir, always had to pre mix the oil and gas myself. Any ideas?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The wires to that tank are a low oil warning system on the VRO pump (Variable Rationing Oil Pump).

If it's not the latest model VRO pump installed on the engine with 4 wires to the pump, most folks would disconnect it and premix at a 50:1 ratio.

The VRO pumps can be tested to assure that they are operating properly.

The newer VRO pumps are expensive to replace.

A quick fix, is to disconnect the oil line where it goes into the engine. Plug the inlet hose barb, and disconnect the electrical system to the VRO pump. Now you can mix your fuel at 50:1 and be trouble free.

From rereading your post, it seems as though you didn't get the engine checked out. Good luck.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I did get the engine checked out, but maybe didnt dig deep enough. I am sure the carbs will have to be rebuilt since it sat for a while. They did do a compression check, and spark test. The engine fired right up as well. I am sure I could have had alot of things checked, but I got a steal on the boat, I am hoping for the best. Thanks for the tips.