89 Jeep XJ over heats fast

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by daystarchis, Aug 6, 2006.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I changed the Thermostat, but it is still over heating. Any ideas? Need help since I am not mecanically inclined:embarassed:

2. As bad as it may sound replacing the water pump and having someone pull your radiator and getting it boiled to remove all the stuff thats been building up inside. I had the same problem with m 1992 S-10 a long time ago and once I got a new water pump everything worked fine. For the older year Jeeps I know you shouldnt have to spend too much on a new pump. Maybe 60 bucks or so. Getting you radiator a major maintenance cleaning probably differs in your area. I went to a Tractor repair shop to get mine cleaned out since they were the only ones equipped with the tools needed to complete the job.

Hope this helps out for you

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Well it could be several things making it get hot.
    You said you changed the thermostat. Hopefully you didn't install it back wards. Some folks do not really thinking about how it came out.

With that said,I'm thinking your radiator may have some blockage causing the vehicle to over heat. Also you might feel of the radiator hoses to see if they feel mushy. If they are, they may be collapsing when they get hot. This would restrict water flow.

Another thing might be the fan clutch. It may be worn out and not engaging properly. Ignition timing not set properly can also make a vehicle run hot.

Did this problem start all at once? or has it been slowly running hotter till it runs hot all the time? Is your fan belts tight? Also check the water pump to see if there is excessive slack when you pull up and down on the pulley.

Now for the worst case scenario, it might have a blown head gasket too.. I hope not as that cost a lot of money to get fixed.

Give us more information if you can...

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Some great advice so far. I did put the thermstat in the right way. I did it the way the Chilton manual said:roll_eyes: I noticed it has been useing water lately. I never see any on the ground. It was not overheating till last night then all of a sudden it got hot when my wife drove it:crazy: I put the new thrmostat in and drove it around 1 block and it got real real hot fast. So i am back to square one:sad2:

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Robb,

Let me ask you this:

When you crank your jeep does it puff white smoke out of the exhaust? If it does, that would be a sure sign of a blown gasket. You said you don't see anything leaking on the ground right?

It could be just the water pump leaking from the weep hole when the vehicle is at operating temperature. Take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure up the radiator, that will tell you if it's the water pump leaking.

Did you burp the radiator when you filled it with water? What I mean is, when adding water with the engine running, there will be air trapped in the water system. You must get all the air out or it wont be full of water, and it will run hot.

6. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    if there is no water around the water pump i would start with the radiater. and if it is still over heating i woould try changing the water pump. and if it still does then take it to the shop.

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You say it has been using water and you don't see any dripping! If you are losing water but none is leaking from the water pump, radiator or hoses then I would suspect a possible blown head gasket:crazy:. I certainly hope not but these are the symptoms of a head gasket.

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Robb- I've owned several Jeeps, but nothing newer than a CJ. You're saying "water", but are you meaning antifreeze mix? If you've ran water in it for any length of time, you're liable to have a plugged radiator as was mentioned. If it's low on coolant, shine a flashlight in the rad cap opening & see if the tubes in the rad are "cruddy". If they are, you may have to have the rad boiled-out & possibly "rodded-out". Many times a blown head gasket will cause small bubbles to appear in the coolant with the cap off & engine running. Also, after the thermostat opens (after the engine comes up to temp) you should be able to see the coolant circulate in the radiator. There's always the posibillity you got a bad thermostat (you can add it to hot water on the stove, with a thermometer & see at what temp it opens).

Smitty

9. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    check your oil leval see if its sahowing over full sometimes a bad head gasket will let coolent leak into crank case which is not good for bearings.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Well, It was a bad "new" thermastat:crazy: I am happy though it is only that:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:
    Thank you all for your post. Extreemly helpful and very quick in deed! Reps for you all!!!!! Thank you brothers!