89 Jeep Cheerokee

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by daystarchis, Jan 8, 2007.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    My jeep seems to not want to start some mornings. When I keep it in the garage, it seems to start. Any suggestions?

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Check your distributor wire connections. Some moisture may be getting into them when parked outside try using a silicon type sealer. Hi energy ignition systems (50,000 volts) are very susceptible to shorting.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Tom.....I didn't know if they are just cold natured or what:confused2:

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Most Chrysler products use a gear reduced starter, Robb, and if you are not getting enough cranking amperage to the starter they will turn the engine over but not fast enough to start. you might want to check your battery terminals and cables for corrosion also.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Do you think I should take out the batt and clean all terminals and charge my batt up?

6. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That never hurts. Check your charging system also with a VOM set at 24V/DC you should read 13.5 to 14.75 volts across the battery terminals with the engine running at just above idle.

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    You may want to check your choke to make sure it's operating properly, things cool down a lot more when parked outside rather than in the garage.
    One more thing that I can think of Robb, but it's something that you need an expensive piece of equipment for, but I think Kragen or Auto Zone may do it for free in hopes of selling you a new part. You can test the cranking amps of the starter and see if it's within tolerance.
    But keep in mind that I'm not an auto mechanic Robb I've just been around a few cars over a few years and these are some of the things that I've ran across.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Sucker would not start at all this morning. Windows was all frozen (don't know if this matters). Got home from work and went out around 7 pm and the thing started right up:roll_eyes: CRAZY!

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Robb, if it cranks over normaly and doesn't start I'd check the choke setting first thing.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You'll probably be cheaper off to buy a engine block heater. They have 2 different styles, 1 you have to remove a freeze plug to install, the other goes into a section of your heater hoses. IMHO, it is not only easier to install but works alot better too.

Now the nice thing is that you will have instant heat & your windshield will be free of ice etc, because that style actually has a pump built into it that circulates the water. Heat rises--clear windshield:cool2:

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    It's really not that cold in Fresno and what happens when he's out fishing all night and needs to go in the morning. Better off finding what the problem is and fixing it, not too many places I fish have an electric outlet nearby to plug into.
    Besides that Jeep should start in 30 degree weather wiht no problem, remember that temp is only for a couple of hours overnight. It's not as if it's a hard freeze.

12. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    sounds to me like you a.need a new battery..one with more cold cranking amps.. b. try parking in the garage more:big_smile:

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ok...Had to clear out all the boxes and mess from our move last week:sad2: Patio is filled with crap:eek:oooh: Anyway....Parked her in the garage last night, and she started right up:crazy: :crazy: Richard, thanks for the tip:lol: I guess I will look at the battery and post the make aand craking amp this evening:smile2:

14. catfishinrepoman

catfishinrepoman New Member

State:
    georgia
    the cold cranking amps of the battery determine how well it puts out a charge on cold mornings...and how well it holds a charge overnight without being charged....if you have a small trickle charger you might try hooking it up on especially cold nights to keep the battery active...but for my money i would buy an optima redtop battery...expensive yes...but worth every penny and hard as heck to kill

15. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    hey bub check your timeing i have to trucks that i like to rod on i retard and advance the timeing to get a litle more umf out of them but it makes them verry hard to start on cold days