89 bayliner 2455 starter

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by dizzydays, Sep 19, 2009.

1. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    Starter went out so i went and got a new one only problem is the new one only has the one small post on it, the old one had 2 small ones, i was told by the boat shop to hook the two to the same one but when i do the boat will only run as long as the key is in the start position. as soon as i let it off of the start position it dies. if i hook the one wire to a hot from the battery it will run. now i have no power except to the lift for the drive, checked all the fuses i can find and all checkout (two 50 amps fuses and blade type under the dash). didnt think a starter could be so much trouble. Why would the new starter only have the one small post?

motor is chev 350

thanks in advance.

2. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    One of the wires you are hooking up should be on the starter solenoid most chevy motors the solenoid was made on to the starter. You might have to wire it up different or bolt a different solenoid on the motor. They should be a main power wire coming from the key switch going to the motor find it and check it for power.

3. dizzydays

dizzydays New Member

State:
    utah
    thanks countryboy, yes solenoid is on the starter there is also one that is like the old ford one on the motor but it has a constant power when the battery's are on, I'm going to check the main harness for a key hot today, i may have to run a new wire from the key, not sure i want to cut into the main harness. not sure how the old starter supplied power to the coil only when the engine was running.

4. I had the same exact thing with a Volvo inboard/outboard I owned, but can't remember for the life of me how I fixed it! Gotta brainstorm here.:confused2::embarassed:

Regarding the starter with the single post, that must mean the solenoid is separate from it. Those two wires that came off the old starter, are they the same sizes or is one thick like a battery cable and the other thin? Pics would be helpful too if ya can post'm.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009