88hp Johnson

Discussion in 'Boating' started by droptine77, Jul 25, 2007.

1. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Anybody own a 1989 88hp Johnson? I am supposed to pick up a boat tomorrow with one on it and was wondering if any of you have had trouble with it or is it a reliable engine? Thanks for any advice.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it was properly cared for it should be good to go. I have found that any engine will last a good time if properly maintained. As for the 88 I have run upon a few and haven.t heard any bad disscussions about them

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Everyone I have seen are great motors and run great, fast very fast!:smile2:

4. pappy3

pappy3 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 92 88spl and it runs great but it is cold natured IN THE COLD WEATHER! All you have to do is let it warm up and milk the choke a bit! I have seen alot of these motors on the water for a long time. Good luck with it! pappy3:0a22:

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    A bunch of commercial fishermen use them here on the coast and if commercial fishermen use them constantly in salt water then it's a dang good engine. I think that if you maintain it well enough then it should last a very, very long time. I have an '88 88 Evinrude and it seems to be a good motor and everyone has told me how well they hold up so lets hope we're both in the green:smile2:

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks guys. So far it seems to be running fine maybe the good LORD will let it hang in there for me!