88' Johnson 40h.p VRO (Water where it shouldn't be)

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JohnnyRuuDe, Nov 3, 2008.

1. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    Hello All! This is my first post, but not my first motor. I recently purchased an 88' 40h.p V.R.O on a 17' 1968 Starcraft boat. The gentlemen I bought it from said that he was getting rid of it because it would periodically bog down. Not being a very mechanically inclined individual, he had decided enough was enough and sold me the whole set-up for $750. He informed me that his mechanic suggested it may be bad fuel or a fuel filter issue. he had been running the motor off of the original metal fuel tanks from 68! When I got home and dumped out the fuel I diiscovered severe corrosion inside the tanks and approx. 1" of orange gel at the bottom of the metal fuel tank :( Also, not surprisingly the fuel filter seemed quite clogged with orange gel. I got a new fuel tank, fuel line, primer bulb, fuel filter, and spark-plugs. I now can get it running at a rough idle but I get a constant V.R.O alarm which indicates either a fuel flow restriction or overheat condition. Plus the primer bulb does not stay hard which makes me think fuel flow restriction. I spent hours researching the V.R.O debate(disconnect or let-it-fly) and it occured to me that a VRO from 88' probably didn't appreciate all the bad fuel and is likely damaged and causing fuel flow restriction. In that case I will replace the VRO with a Fuel-only pump and premix my fuel...however, before I spend $150 on the fuel pump conversion Im wondering if there are other possibilities? I pulled the carbs, cleaned em'...didn't notice anything wrong. Any help would be so greatly appreciated- Thanks, Lewis

2. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    Some new news!

I realized I hadn't given the oil tank more than a casual glance. I opened it up and found the tank to be 3/4 full of what appeared to be oil...when I dumped it out I found that the tank was 1/2 full of WATER(on the bottom), and 1/4 full of OIL(floating on top). This, in addition to the original bad gas, was a recipe for disaster to say the least. I'm suprised it ran at all and I'm grateful it didn't sieze my engine. After refilling the Oil tank with fresh oil, I got the engine to idle much smoother with only a backfire here and there. Then it stopped running and now Im having trouble getting her started again. I messed with the slow speed adjust screws on the carbs a bit to try and get the best idle...Im not sure where they should be set?

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    snug that idle screw all the way in and then back it out 1 1/2 turn. That is the starting place. That back fire is most likely the starvation of fuel. I would pull the carbs and soak them good and rebuild them. On a carb it ain't what you can see its what you can't see that will give you a problem. After soaking them I would take some spray type carb cleaner and clean every little hole and orriface it hase in each carb and blow out with compressed air.

4. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    THANK YOU BUBBAKAT! I'm happy that you are the one who responded...I've read many of you're other replies and you are definatly someone I trust. I'll pull the carbs and keep you posted- Thanks again!

5. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    Well Bubbakat...you were right about my carbs. I couldn't see anythiing wrong, but it was what I couln't see that was a problem. I pulled em' off, took em' apart and soaked em' in gas for 8 hours...I could hardly believe how much rust and metal debris came out! Now they're clean as a whistle!
    I also took my VRO 2 apart and found lots of water inside. Both diaphrams look good. I found a problem inside the fuel pump side...It seems that someone else took apart the VRO years ago and didn't put it back together right. On the fuel pump side there are 2 springs, 1 large and 1 small. The small spring was out of its position and simply bouncing around inside the pump. There ware scratch marks on the plastic and the spring was polished up real shiny-like...Not sure how long it's been like that but I'm sure it wasn't helping anything!
    Does an 1988 johnny 40hp VRO have a water seperator? If it does I'm sure I'll have to replace...Well THANKS AGAIN BUBBAKAT!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It doesn't have a built in water seperator as I know of. You can purchase you one at about any parts store with the screw on filter and install it inline with primmer bulb and that will keep the water out of the engine. Are you useing an old tank or what.

7. JohnnyRuuDe

JohnnyRuuDe New Member

State:
    vermont
    I'm not running old tanks, just fixing years of neglect by the previous owner. He'd been running the engine off of old metal tanks from 1968 and never thought to look inside em'. There was all kinds of water, rust, and some kinda goop...and the oil tank had more water than oil! I was just worried that if my engine DID have a water seperator that it was probably spent. in the future i'll get an inline seperator just in case. Thanks again!