'88 Ford F150 4WD problems

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by pokerkat, Jan 15, 2007.

1. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my Ford f150 has a 4WD shifter problem, it shifts but I have to use all my strength to get it to give, I grease the gearing and used WD-40 on it till the bottle was empty and it still acts the same, any suggestions.

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Is the tires on the back of your truck the same size as the front ones? Sometimes this will put the gears in a bind and make it hard to shift in and out of gear. Also have you tried backing up before or while you try and shift in or out of gear?

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    stop the truck, drop tranny into neutral and try to shift the t-case. If this doesnt work u may have some probs in ur tcase, such as syncros(dunno if that is proper name)

4. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the tires are all the same, I know its bad to have different sized tires on a 4WD, I have not tried that neutral shift thing yet, I will get on that, its a 3 spd automatic btw, forgot to mention that, I also haven't tried backing it up too, I will need to try that, thanks for the help any other info on this is appreciated too.

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Im not sure on your truck but on my truck 01 Dodge 4x4 If I want to go to 4low I have to put it in neutral an be moving just a little 2mph or something like that. On 4 hi mine shift easier if I let off the gas about the same time as i shift it.......... Just some thoughts. My son has a truck about the same year as yours His is stuck in 4 low because he was trying to jam it in. So dont jam it.LOL I think on his he has ruined the gear fork. try it with the truck moving a bit an see if that helps. Mac

6. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    alright thanks for the help guys, I am going to try this stuff tom. when I get it off the lift and get the new high pressure pump settled it, I got all new brakes on it and I need to test them out.

7. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    got another problem, my truck starts great but sometimes it starts then shuts right back off, I am thinking the throttle body needs cleaned, any suggestions would help.