88 and 54 lbs. TN. River Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Southerncats, May 10, 2009.

1. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had another great trip yesterday with the water flowing like this the big cats are definately on the prowl and feeding up for the spawn....makes me wish I could fish everyday that's for sure.....we started the day out about 9:30 A.M. in a light rain.........the bite was on big time and the first rod I baited went down before I got the second one baited, it turned out to be a 25 lber.....we caught about 4 more including a nice 54 lber wich was one pound short of Gary's PB blue he caught with me last year......when the sun popped up it seems things just shut down for awhile but we still managed to catch 5 more cats between 5-18 lbs on various stops along the way.....the clouds rolled back in around 4 oclock and the bite turned on again we got 3 more teenie boppers and then the biggun hit all 88 lbs of pure muscle....I can say that my new Catfishsafari rod got broke in right and it done an outstanding job as well....I have used most brands of rods on the market and these are the best by far that have been in my boat....Of course the fish was CPR'd (Catch, Photograph, and Released) so he can grow big.....this fish was very healthy and definately has the potential to grow to be 100+

Most of the fish were caught in 10-20ft of water....all of them on cut skipjack.....we were snapping 4-6 oz bank sinkers on a #6 sinker slide, using a sinker bumper on the mainline (30-40 mono)...I pre-tie all my rigs with 80 lb mono and 8/0 and/or 5/0 double action circle hooks....depending on bait size I use single and double hook rigs....Team Catfish tackle has yet to fail me, so that's what I fish with.

Attached Files:

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats on an Awesome day. Thanks for the pics and the story !!! :big_smile:

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Once again,, great job Mike...

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

:006:

Puddle :wink:

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Nice fish, Sounds like there still eating it up there. Wish Pickwick would have been that nice to us last week.
    Pete

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Awesome cats! Congrats to you.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Great Catch!!!!!

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Once again, very impressive Mike! That 88 looks real healthy, wow!

8. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Great report Mike..........Looks like fun!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike thanks for sharing your catch. Awesome!!

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's the kind of trip that mere mortals like myself dream of every day:wink:

11. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats what i'm talkin bout, nice catch cuz.

12. mofishin

mofishin New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What part of Wheeler are you fishing. I fish around the interstate down to Browns Ferry. I catch good numbers but nothing of that size.

13. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Congrats you are sure on fire catching those good ole bigguns. I have got to get down to either Wilson or Wheeler someday and give them a shot

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    88# and 54#! All I can say is :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on a nice Blue.

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Some real nice fish there guys.

17. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    great fish bro happy cattin

18. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Can't really add anything to what everyone's said.....G-O-L-L-L-E-E-E!!:0a31:

19. damcodon

damcodon New Member

State:
    Quincy, Illinoi
    Hey Mike, You mentioned 10-20 feet of water. What type structure were you fishing? River bends? Humps? Dykes? Fast water? Would liket ot visit and fish there soon. Any other help would greatly appreciated.

Donny

20. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well most of the fish came from trees that had washed off the bank from erosion and then lodged on the river bottom.....There's certain areas the trees will stick well and when you locate them, fish up river from them and try and draw them out.....usually just behind a hump or drop of some sort, there will be wood structure....outside bends have not produced that great for me this year....but seem to do better in the hottest and coldest parts of the year.