88' 25hp johnson water pump?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by okiekrawler, Apr 27, 2006.

1. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i got this motor from my uncle. he bought it newand had never changed the water pump. i think it is time to do that. i removed the four bolts and the nut in front of the lower unit. i also disconnected the shift rod. the lower unit moved down about 1/4" but will not come all the way off. am i missing something. is this the proper procedure?somebody help!!!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rodney if you have every thing disconnected then all thats left is the drive shaft is seized inside the power head. I have turned them upside down and wedged the lower unit open far enough to drain some PB Blaster down the drive shaft into the splines where its seized.
    I also have taken wood wedges and seperated the two parts. Be very careful doing this because it can damage the section where it fits togeather.

When you get it apart before you reassemble just lube the splines after cleaning the good and a little on top of the shaft and it will prevent this from happening.

3. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    thanks, i'll try some pb and see if that will work.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rodney look at this exploded view and look at item number 66 and see if you have removed this connector. Its on the shift rod and will most likely be up in the housing kinda like and will most likely have to look up to see it.

Bob brought this to my attention and made me work this early in the am.:p :p You will probably have to magnify it to see it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/1988lowerunit.gif

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rodney Bob has been jarring my old brain this am on your situation and this is what he came up with and I do beleive he is spot on with this. Takes a collective brain sometimes with me.
    This is bob's take on it.

I'm thinking it's # 73, Very small cone shaped with a split in it for installation. Used to grab the shift shaft and keep the top and bottom coupling nuts on and keep the shift shaft in place.

When installed the taper of the cone faces the nuts, one facing up and one facing down. The nuts compress these plastic cone keepers. Only the one on the upper shaft needs to come off, and the nut slid off the upper shaft.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, that's what you get fer gettin' up so early.:p

Put a bolt back in the lower unit to hold it in place.

After uncoupling the threaded coupler nuts, by holding the bottom one and turning the top one, move your shift rod to seporate them. Slide the upper nut up the shaft a little and expose the little plastic keeper. It's got a small split in it for removal and installation.

Gently pry it open and remove it, then slide the upper nut off the shift shaft.

Don't loose this tiny item.

If however you've already done that and it's still stuck, go back to Bubba's first response and get out the blaster.

7. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    hey guys, the items you are talking about are kinda like a flare fitting. i removed the plastic keeper and the nut from the unit. i have put the motor on its top and soaked it with pb blaster i am gonna let it set a while and see if i can free it., willard, i dont know alot but what i know i will sure tell ya. i really appreciate you guys helpin me with this deal. i talked to the local shops today and all they told me was bring it to them. i have been a deisel engine and generator tech for 10 years and i don't like it when people talk to me like i am a moron. an that is all these people did. so again i say thanks.

8. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    another question? will the long part of the shaft come with the lower unit or stay with the powerhead? the reason i ask is it appears that i have gained on it a little bit but it doesn't look like theshaft is moving above the lower unit.

9. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    ok guys here it is. the lower unit came off. the bad news is the shaft did not come with the lower unit. instead the water pump housing busted. i guess i used a little too much force. also the shaft is still stuck in the powerhead.but i will keep soaking it with pb blaster.in the mean time i need some parts

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Ok rodney I have removed drive shafts in various ways. You need to let it soak with the PB Blaster at least 24 hours or with some marvel mystery oil.

You can hold up on the drive shaft and hit it while the weight is pulling down on it and this sometimes works. I have made a collor to go around the drive shaft and used a slide hammer. Waller that drive shaft as much as you can to loossen it up.
    I have been known to use a set of vice grips on a section where nothing sets on it and knocked them out.

What ever way you get it done you will need to clean the splines good and lube them with a light coat of good marine grease. Put just a little on top but just a little you don't want to preload that top of the drive shaft.

You ain't the first one to apply to much force on one seperating it.:big_smile:
    That is one good of an example why its good pratice to change pumps every other season and while you are at it take the prop off and lube that shaft to. I would venture to say it is seized to.

11. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    once i get the shaft out is there anything i need to inspect for damage on the powerhead?

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There shouldn't be any damage to it. Just visually inspect it. You can tell if its buggered up or cracked but I am doubting any damage is done.

Shoot I have started them with the shaft dangling to wobbel them out.