870 barrel

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, Jul 27, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    if i had to could i shoot slugs through a cylinder choke barrel and if so could anything bad happen

2. cattinhoosier

cattinhoosier New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've known many people that shot slugs out of those it shouldn't hurt anything. I would shoot the regular slugs out of it no point in wasting money on sabot slugs. For closer range they work fine but you can't beat the accuracy of a rifled barrel and sabots. Inside of 75 yards your gun will probably be fine

3. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 870 that has a cyl. bore barrel on it. This barrel has no choke, so it shoots slugs fine. Take your shotgun to a gunsmith and measure the end of the barrel to determine if it is a choked barrel. I understand that accuracy is degraded if the barrel has any choke in it, as it deforms the soft slug. Catfishjon

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cylinder bore is the choke that is intended to use slugs for. I've got a modified choke barrel that shoots them GREAT! All police shotguns are pretty much cylinder bore for slug shooting, but at the sacrifice of tight patterning of buckshot. That's why you have to play with different buchshot loads to find one that will shoot good in the police shotgun. Mine is VERY finicky with buckshot, but shoots about every brand of slug acceptable, some exceptional.

If you've got a cylinder bore choke, screw in or fixed, then you're set for slugs.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my 870 and my mossbergs shoot both slugs and buckshot very well, but i hardly ever use either any more. i have killed several deer with OO and OOO buckshot from 40-60 yards with devastating results. the only problem i have and have seen a lot of folks have is centering a slug on target with bead sights. if possible, i would suggest getting a barrel with rifle sights. it will help you get a slug on target at longer ranges, and will have no adverse effects with buckshot. the coolest thing i ever did with buckshot was a boar hog that decided to fight us at about 25-30 feet, and every pellet caught him right in the forehead. let's just say the fight got taken out of him immediately. that was with a modified choke.
    you can also get a rifled choke tube, if your barrel is not fixed choke. they are supposed to be better with some types of slugs vs. others, but i have never used them, just read about them. might be something to look in to.

6. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with Vince. Fortunately, my duty shotgun shoots the remington slugs and buckshot we are issued equally well. One thing I learned when shooting a fully rifled barrel was that I had to use sabot slugs to get the best accuracy.