86 Pound Blue Catfish Caught

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by DeerHunter01, Jul 7, 2009.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This morning a man told me he watched a guy bring into shore a 86 pound blue catfish off the Ohio river in Union County, near JT Meyers dam, Union town. He is supposed to bring me in a picture of this fish, From what he told me this fish was beat up pretty bad from the spawn, can you imagine what this fish weighed before the spawn, it would of been very close to our state record if not beating it.

2. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i heard in calhoun they have been doing some kind of tournament off the bank for bank fisherman. i heard a man caught a 70+ pound flathead off the bank? dnt know if its true but thats what i heard. that would be the greenriver

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wouldn't mind gettin into one of them, myself. Those are some big fish, please post the pics when/if you get them!

4. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    That 86 pound blue would be SWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEET to catch but I would honestly rather land the 70 pound shovelhead that CrazyKat mentioned than the blue. Wow. what a fight that would be.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    That must have been the one that spooled me 2 years ago:eek:oooh:

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know in Indiana that if you catch a fish full of eggs that is near the state record that they remove the eggs before they officially weigh it. And i am pretty sure its that way in kentucky too. Id imagine that fish wouldve weighed well over a hundred pounds with it being full of eggs. but in the dnrs eyes that fish wouldve went back to the 80s since they wouldve removed the eggs......just a bit of insite to how the dnr works. lol

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I sure would like to see some pics of these beasts.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    That's something I didn't know but it wouldn't matter as I would never submit a spawned up fish as a record for exactly that reason; it's not the true weight.
    Do you know if the DNR make any attempt to harvest the eggs and fertilize them or do they just dump them?
    I don't think any spawned up fish should be eligible for consideration if they have to strip it, it just doesn't seem right.
    J.M.H.O...W

9. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think they should just weigh the fish regardless if it has eggs or not. thats like adding weight to a male during spawn and saying well they lose weight during spawn so we need to add 10 pounds. should just weigh it and go on if its the record with eggs in it then so be it.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i'm going to cannelton tomorrow to catch her big sister!

11. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Can't wait to see that picture.

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If i heard right from one of my conservation buddies is that they take the eggs out and do send them to a hatchery to be harvested. they do that to keep those genes in our waters.....i might be wrong but im pretty sure thats what i was told.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i'd love to see a picture of it....would be nice to see that thing on the end of my line....