86 Mariner Magnum problems

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jrgriffhusker, Jun 28, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I took the family out to do some tubing yesterday, but about the time we got ready to stop and do it the boat died on me. Before is died it sounded like the starter was still engaged but it wasn't. Also I noticed that the motor was starting to warm up. Then when I tried to restart it I just got some humming out of it. So we sat for a bit and finally got it started but it sounded like it was only running on three cylinders.
    I found out when I got home that I had a broken gas line. Fixed and it ran fine until the line broke again. Can I use automotive gas line on my motor and does it matter what kind of fuel filter I use? And should I put sea foam in my gas tank? Any suggestions on why the motor was heating up before it died, because when we went back to the dock it cooled off again. It has a brand new impellar. Also my dad suggested that I take my fuel lines off and run the gas out of the carbs, will that really make a difference? I have been using 89 grade fuel. Thanks on any help you can give

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Gees, it sure would be nice if your post was broken up into paragraphs.

Try hitting the enter key twice between questions:wink:

Your engine is never as hot as when you first shut it down. Hot engine and no water circulation.

You can use any kind of GAS line that fits.

Be sure to put your inline filter in the right direction. I've used different types.

Try the green/blue stabil instead of seafoam.

Read a few of the posts from here. The gas line issue's been covered. It ain't hard to find.

Loose the 89 octain. In the case of outboards, bigger ain't better. Use 87.

Now isn't that nicer than lumping it all into one block of words?:confused2:

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Thanks for the help. I got the boat back running and I'm taking it out to try it out tomorrow night. Again thanks

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Did the same thing on my 87 mariner 150. And after that it was hard to start. The gas line breaking caused some of the motor to run without gas and oil. This caused piston wear.
    If it were my motor there would be extra oil in it for a little while.
    On these motors you should change out all lines every few years, gas lines and oil lines break down. This burns up more motors then anything. Also that sound you were hearing? Sounds like metal to metal as the motor was about to lock up. If it were mine I would run a compression check and see if the 2 top pistons are good?
    Pete