86 lb Blue caught on Cape Fear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat69, Mar 29, 2008.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I have been looking through the threads here and have not found anything so I will tell you guys what I know.
    The current NC Flathead record holder (Brian N.) caught a 86 lb bluecat last weekend on the Cape Fear River. I do not have any of the details but I did see a picture that was taken with a cellphone from one of my friends. The fish was weighed and then released back into the river to gain a few more pounds.
    If anyone has anymore info please share.
    Mike

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I heard about it. It, from what I understand, was caught in between locks 1 and 2. That's all I know about it. That is a monster blue though. Sure would like to see a picture of it. The way Brian N. fishes though no fish can swim through the area he fishes without getting a bait in his face:smile2: To each his own though, I just don't see how you fish with 20+ rods. Sounds like too much work to me.

3. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I hear you brother, I have enough work on my hands with the normal 8 rods I use and god forbid the wind be blowing or trash floating down the river. I will see what I can do about getting a photo.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, I either use 6 rods in my boat or 4 in my buddy Britton's boat. 6 is too much at times if the current is really pumping and there's a ton of trash coming down the river.

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is a big fish i would like to see that:crazy:

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing that with us sounds like a nice cat

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    SWEET!!!!!!!:eek:oooh::smile2:

8. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Hey guys, I'm sure some of you may already know but, the picture of Brian's monster blue is in today's Fayetteville Observer. He is obviously doing something right.

9. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    yes, thats a nice one wonder if it came on a rod or if they limb lined it ,somethings are better left unsaid, but atleast he put it back

10. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    The article in paper stated that it was caught off of an eel, on a 8/0 circle hook, just below Lock and Dam 2. Brian isn't one of those guys who would limb line and take credit for a rod and reel catch. He's just good at what he does and gets out plenty to have that chance at big fish.

11. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    seen a lot of big fish and that s not no 86 lbs maybe mid 50

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Any link to some pictures? I'd sure like to see this thing.

13. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i looked on the web but no luck, so i went and bought the fayetteville paper dont get your hopes up, its a big fish buyt not 86 lbs.

14. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    thats awesome he let it go as well, he has my respect already for just that

15. zfireman642

zfireman642 New Member

State:
    coats, north carolina
    i saw the pic. in the paper to me the fish only olooks around 65 lbs. But that is my opinion

16. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    The Fayetteville Observer did a piece on Brian Newberg and his 86.3 pound Ark. blue he caught recently (3-21-08). He was on the Cape Fear close to Lock no. 2 and started fishing after 9 PM. He made some good points in the article about being ready for the big one when it strikes. He uses 40# test line, 80# test shock leader and a 8/0 circle hook. He strips off some of his fishing line before he goes fishing and reties everything and checks his hooks for shrapness. After he sets up everything, he makes himself some coffee. When he gets drowsy, he places his feet on the side rail of his toon so he can feel the strike while he is napping.

Local bait shop owner says that Brian fishies up to a week at a time. That's a lot of fishing.

When he realized that it was a big fish, he loosen his drag and thus it took him one hour to bring this trophy in. It was stated that the fish was released alive.

Christian Waters of the NCDNR had a few comments about the abundance of bait in the Cape.

17. PiscMonkey

PiscMonkey New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Nice one at that wish to see a photo of it. :wink: :cool2:

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats one reason I dont get really enthused over fish pictures.
    A fish is one one of those things like a good joke. You had to be there.
    A 1 dimensional image doesnt do a fish justice.

I've taken pictures of flatheads that hit the scales at 51 pounds but in looking at the pictures afterwards I would be ashamed to tell it weighed 51 pounds. Alot depends on how the fish was posed and can be sized in relation to an object.
    I've got a 33 pound flathead on my phone now. It dont look like a 33.
    It looks like a skinny 20. Its the way the fish was being held.

I've read an article about this guy in one of the NC Sportsman rags. Still have it.
    He does some trolley rigging.

19. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Is 86 pounds the new state record now? I guess there has to be a few hundred pounders somewhere in that river.

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Fish can certainly look different based on the way they're held, who's holding them, lighting, ect.

He does do some trolley rigging, it sounds like an interesting way to fish. I love to see/hear a bass hit a topwater but I can't imagine what a 50+lb flathead would sound like if he hit a baitfish on top.