86 Evinrude 40 w/ jet

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by loanwizard, Oct 24, 2006.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have an 87 Evinrude 40 that I have had in and out of a reputable shop twice for cutting out (not a good thing on a jet) Well, it was fixed and I took it out Wednesday for a run. Drifted for a while and when I went to start it up the battery didn't seem strong enough to turn it over. (Battery new and freshly charged interstate) Let it sit for a while and started well. Took off and then it started to seriously over rev and we went nowhere. It is a jet so I figure it has to be in the driveshhaft. Called the marina and they told me that when they had it apart they noticed the splines were worn. They told me that if it was the lower ones it might not be too expensive to fix but if it were the upper, it was time for a newer engine.
    Looking for advise. I am watching a couple of motors on ebay. I have a 1654 Landau. It doesn't have a capacity or hp tag on it. Is a 50 too big? Currently 40/30 jet. I am looking at this ad on Ebay.

Thanks in advance.
    Shawn

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Shawn, weight wise you should be okay. If the seller is holding true to his posting then it is a fairly good deal. The compression looks reasonable to me they are within the 10% of each other. If the motor has been fresh water used only then it may well be worth the buy. As you know you need it in picking up distance because the shipping on an outboard will just about kill you.

As you well know, the buying of used items are a hit and miss situation but you have done your home work so it is in the ball park, so to speak.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Only other issue is what the boat's rated for.

I've got a 2000' 1672 Landau, and I'll check on it's rated HP for you.

I'm thinking a 50 might be too big for that particular hull.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I checked my boat tag and it's only rated for a 30 hp and it's a Landaua 1670.

I hope you didn't get that 55 hp. If you did, seriously beef up the transom were it attaches to the hull in the corners and a better support in the center.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thank you sir. If I put the 50 or 55 on with a jet it should bring it down to 30. Is that correct?

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If that could be done with your combination of engine and jet drive, yes, that's close to what you've got.

There's also a weight factor of engine to transom especially when trailering.

I seriously doubt that a 77' will take a jet drive lower unit. I could be wrong, it's happenned before:confused2: