86 Ebko steering help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jrgriffhusker, May 13, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I'm going to try and change out my steering cable on my own. Does anyone know how much a 86 Mariner 150 might weigh. I was told I need to take the motor off and just need to know how many people, and how much beer, I need to get to do this. Any help would be great.
    Thanks John

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That motor weighs in at over 3 hundred. Borrow you a motor hoist and a couple friends and no drinking until its over with.

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Okay sounds like a plan. I appreciate you're advice. I don't drink anyways so that's a good thing I guess. Is that cable hard to change?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its a pretty simple job. You May be able to unbolt the motor from the transom and slide it over far enough. Unhook it at the end where it hooks into the steering bracket then look along the tube it slides in connected to the motor mount at the transom top and take the big nut loose and slide the long shaft out of the steering tube. Then take you a 12 gage shotgun bore brush and clean the tube out good and then mop it out with good clean grease.
    Disconnect the cable under the console at the steering wheel and hook you a small rope to the end and pull it out while threading the rope back through. Hook the rope to the new cable and repeat pulling on the rope. This will take two people to do or a lot of walking for one,

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Thank you very much sir. This will help a lot when it comes time to do it. I haven't had it out since it was 30 degrees outside. It was froze up pretty tight that day. Anyways thanks again.
    John