85% made in america

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Apr 4, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    wife is in the market for a new car as her 02 is starting to get to the point of wait till something happens or get something new while its still in good shape.
    now the delima do you get a car that can get several hundred grand on motor easily if oil changes are maintained or get a piece of crap with an american name on it????

honda civics are made in ohio well at least they boast 85 % of the car is made here in ohio.

the car handles great and looks very nice and has motor trend 5 star award as well as topping the list of other consumer reports .
    crash tests etc.

what do you people think ??????85 percent made here aint to dang bad in my opinion .

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    lol i bet this should have been posred in the high intensity forum. i drive a toyota tacoma extended cab. chaange oil , fill gas tank , get a new set of tires every 50,000 miles. i bought my wife a new chevy blazer 4wd .at 30,000 miles it swallowed a valve. at 45,000 miles the ball joints wouldnt pass missouri vehicle inspection.this thing has never been even close to off road or abused in any way. the air conditioner quit at 58,000 miles aand the transmission began to shift funny. well the airconditioner had a vacum activated relay that was full of transmission fluid.the next ride my wife gets will be toyota,nissan or honda. oh yea i bought an extended warranty for the blazer. i had never purchased one in my life and for some reason the little voice in my head said take the warranty.Thank you little voice.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeap Honda America is one FINE company. Made in Marysville, I think. I also think each & every Honda Shadow is made in Marysville, too. Honda America is a subsidary of Honda from the way I understand it. My wifes boss is a VP there & he raves about the company.

4. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Darryl,

When you consider that most American made vehicles have trannies that are made in Canada, motor parts made in Japan, dashboard and wiring assemblies done in Mexico, how can ya go wrong?

Mike

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    want to test drive a fun sedan do the 06 civic 2dr its steering is awesome.
    wish ole lady would have waited at the dealership she shut me down in a parking lot checking out the steering respose through the parking sections .
    it was fun up until my name was screamed too loud followed by ugly words:sad: .

i thought girls just wanna have fun????

6. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    buy american they just use a names like toyota honda and so on

7. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    next time wait till you get of the lot at least they will not here her screem around the turns the car or her

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    oh i was off the lot LOL we were a few miles down the road

think i will bring a strip of duct tape to drown out the annoying screech
    and listen to lovely squeel of tires HAHAHAHA

or leave the squawkbox home that day:p

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I agree with Mike, alot of parts on the "American made cars" are from other countries, I don't know but I would be surprised if more than 85% of their parts are made in america anyways. jmo

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The company I work for makes parts for honda of america, and also GM, and Ford..So I do know that some of the parts are the same in all the vehicles.

11. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I don't know why people think it's so important to buy a GM, Ford or Chrysler product that's supposedly made in America when everything else they own is made in China or Bangladesh or somewhere like that.

My Ford Explorer has a sticker on the engine that says "Made in Germany". I think the quality of the so called American vehicles has really gone down. I heard on the TV that the average "American" vehicle will have as many problems after two years as a Japanese vehicle has at 7 years.

There's been a lot of talk lately about GM not being able to compete with foreign owned companies because of the cost of employee pay and benefits. I don't think the issue is the the difference in the prices of the vehicles as much as it is the quality.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i kind of feel like its important to try and buy as much american made products as we can but i dont like being short changed when shelliong out big bucks . the difference between a toyota corolla and a honda civic
    maynot be much in the way of a long lasting motor and similar price range
    but the honda says on the sticker where the vehicle is assembled and
    if this is correct then a large chunk of that cars labor and parts being produced helped feed a lot of american workers.
    i have a better feeling about makeing a purchase with that being known.

yes all along for decades (more recently) outsourceing has caused alot of hodge podge made vehicles from john deere to chevrolet all the others
    except the more recent harley davidson......wife aint gettin one of those:rolleyes:
    she allready thinks shes in charge now ! no use getting her a stallion to
    go along with her sword and spurs:p

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Toyota would be my first pick for a Japanese vehicle, My wife has a Camary. But I still love my Ford F-150

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We bought our only foreign, a new Honda Civic in 89. At that time and my still be, Honda Civic was the only car or truck with an auto transmission that you could tow with all wheels on the ground...Without burning up the transmission. When we bought it, the dealer said Honda wouldn't warranty the trans if it failed from towing. I had read in a motorhome magazine that people had towed them without problems. Several months later I found out that the trans had to be shifted from drive to neutral and not from reverse to neutral before towing. If that procedure wasn't followed, the trans would be destroyed. Lucky, I had been doing it correct. In a year or so the local dealer was using our name as reference for towing a Honda. We towed it about 30,000 miles and put another 40,000 on it with no problems. It was a dandy little car. :)

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Buy the vechile that best suits your needs and POCKET BOOK.

Hey the American companys don't care about much other than profit.

Soon American Made will be 5 dollar an hour Mexican Worker Made. LOL Hey this country is going down the toilet.

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would not own any small engine other than a Honda. Good company. I'll bet there cars are just as good.

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    My 2001 Sierra Z-71 has never been in the shop for anything breaking, it has 81000 miles on it. I don't baby it either. All it takes is one person saying they had a problem with something and ten people wont buy it. I think GM makes great cars, and I will put my truck up against any so called great foreign truck.

18. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well I have a 91 f-150 that has only 77k on it now never gave a problem it is my fishing truck I have a new dodge diesel never a problem with it. My wifes last car a ford had 180k on it with never a issue. I bought a toyota pickup back in 86 sold it 3 years ago with 344k on it never had the engine apart nor a crb rebuilt just the basic maintenance great little truck. Monday I just got the wife a 06 Toyota Tundra access cab as they call it v6 fully loaded and i mean loaded even has a power inverter in it heated mirrors. 24,690 Ford nor dodge would even come close to price with the options we got. Chevy I wont even allow on my property and thier prices were way out of line for the same things we got on this one. The biggest thing I see with the "american" car companys is they are pricing them selves out of the game for a lot of people. So as was said before I would go with what your pocket book can afford and what seems to be a good vehicle.

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Yes you are so right! I wont say my stance on unions as I am sure there are people who whouldnt like what I would say. My wife is in the teamsters where she works at she has been there 20 years or so and they havnt done a thing for her or the workers there. I also agree they were started for a great cause but the crime bosses took over and we now have the issues we have.

20. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    im fixin ta be 44 and have never bought a new car or truck; just used. when buying a used car, unless you purchase an extended warranty(which most arent worth the paper they're printed on), if you get it off the lot and it breaks down yer screwed! so, in my case, my next used pickup will either be a toyota, or a pre '79 chevy. reliability is more important than where its made when yer po.
    now should I hit the lotto, or my credit score magically raises, then i could afford to be made in usa picky and i'd buy a new CHEVY pickup with the 100k miles/10 yr new car warranty or whatever.