85 HP Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by AwShucks, May 22, 2008.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, Bubbakat. I am here to once again test your knowledge (and get a little help at the same time - lol) Here is the problem.... Fuzzface has a 1970 85HP Evinrude. He has rebuilt the carbs. Compression tests indicate a psi of 100 to 108 on each cylinders. The two cylinders on the left side of the motor (looking from the prop to the front) bled the psi reading off and wouldn't hold, indicating sticking rings - we think. We put it in the lake, kept it on the trailer, and ran it. It will run at a fast idle and then experiences a missfire and it dies. If you crank the throttle up by hand, it runs great... no miss, no vibration, etc. He only bought this boat for his wife so she'd leave his fishing boat alone. She wants to take the grandkids skiing and tubing. LOL. He is pulling his hair.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Tell him he needs to get a paddle boat..:smile2::smile2::smile2:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn Kevin, that response sounds like you were in the Air Force. LOL

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lawerance get that motor good and warm and tilt it up as far as it will go and then pour those leaking cylinders full of seafoam and let them set for a good while, As for the miss when accerelating with the throttle control has me bumfuzzled on that one unless the cables are rubbing the wires going under the flywheel some where. Is this one of those famous electric shifts are is the straight kind. If it is I should have the complete wireing diag.