85 Gallon Custom Fiberglass Livewell

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by krowbar, Nov 30, 2009.

1. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thought I would post some pics of my new livewell. I used 1/2" plywood with 2 coats of fiberglass cloth inside and out. It's custom shaped to fit in front of the console. It holds 85 gallons full but I only put about 50 gallons in it. 1100 GPH pump powers the Akwa-Lung.

Attached Files:

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Oh boy, now ya got my brain thinkin. Thats a good idea and it sure looks well built...nice job.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that looks very nice

4. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    good lookin tank you got there, hope it works well for you.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tried it out at Hill's tournament and in most ways it worked great. A couple things I might add. The box is sturdy enough to jump up and down on. Doesn't get you wet. Keeps water at good temperature too. Doesn't heat up too fast. Put over 100#'s of fish in it on day 1 and only had 1 die. He was small and turned belly up when I 1st put him in the tank. Biggest was 42 lbs and he did just fine in the tank and swam off immediately when released. Plenty big enough for 5 good fish. Here's a few more pics.

Attached Files:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason that is a sharp custom Fiberglass tank. Congrats on a job well done. Should serve you well for years.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great looking tank brotha! reps to ya

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the pics of the live well.... looks great... You should be proud

9. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Jason,

Did you use the plywood as a form, or is it fiberglass overtop of plywood? How did you firm up the corner, or strengthen them? Is it possible to show us a diagram of how you installed the pump, filter, etc....? I am seriously considering making one for my boat if I ever participate in a tournament I'll be ready to go. And, what might you have done differently if you were able to do it over?

10. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Nice livewell Krowbar! That sure would look good in my boat and would also make a good place to sleep on! LOL !

11. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    Nice job man you need to pat.that idea. It would be nice to be able to get a custom tank like that. how much does the tank with out water weigh?

12. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm not too sure what the tank weighs. 40lbs or so. I can put it in the boat by myself. The size makes it a bit bulky though. Dennis, I cut and built the box by itself. I used automotive bondo on the inside corners and a quarter to round the inside corners. Fiberglass resin will bond to bondo. This makes it easier to lay cloth inside the tank. Fiberglass can be tricky. Many many steps to laying fiberglass cloth in layers. Lay each side and let cure. Overlap and lay the next side. Again and again and again. The more you lay the stronger it gets. Lots of info on the internet about laying fiberglass if you've never messed with it. Took me over 2 months to complete the box.

13. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
  14. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks for the post I was wandering if it could be done and be strong enough because I need to build one for my boat

15. Kevin G

Kevin G New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  16. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ordered a 12 volt Power Bubbles unit for aeration in the livewell. Gonna install it this weekend. I'll post some pics of the install. Anybody familiar with these units?

17. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Dude AWESOME great job reps 2 yah

18. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Jason,

Be sure to take a few good pics of the install - 12v Bubbles. I am considering the same on my livewell for added oxygen.

19. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    few more pics

Attached Files: