Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please! My 70hp Evinrude runs great at an idle and at low wake speeds, but when I push up the throttle to get it up to speed, it just idles down and dies. I can run all day at low speeds but that's it. I took the cover off but that didn't do anything. What can I do to fix this?:Mad:

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way the throttle and everything is set up I can't choke it and throttle it up at the same time, but when I do choke it revs up just fine. It also sat unused for a few years too, I did clean the carbs last year, but no rebuild. So I'm leaning towards your idea of rebuilding the carbs. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rebuilt the carbs yesterday and took it out today and it ran great for a little while. I got it up to top speed, but only for a little while because it was my first time on the river this year and I wasn't sure where sand bars and logs are, plus its a little low. I ran it at low speeds for awhile and when I tried to throttle it up it did the exact same thing as I mentioned before in this thread. I was thinking maybe I need to replace all the fuel lines, but that's only a guess. Any ideas?

Thanks!

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rebuilt the carbs yesterday and took it out today and it ran great for a little while. I got it up to top speed, but only for a little while because it was my first time on the river this year and I wasn't sure where sand bars and logs are, plus its a little low. I ran it at low speeds for awhile and when I tried to throttle it up it did the exact same thing as I mentioned before in this thread. I was thinking maybe I need to replace all the fuel lines, but that's only a guess. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,030 Posts
Try hitting the choke when it starts to bog. If you can get someone to ride with you, run it without the silencer on it and the hood off. If choking will bring it up to speed, try choking it with your open hand over one carb at a time and see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.