84' evinrude 150hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by willcat, Feb 28, 2009.

1. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i just bought an 89 redfin center console 22ft w/a 84 evinrude 150 model# e150ancrs ...was wondering if someone knew what this was? there is a small hose that looks like it's cut right behind the vro pump that looks like it might be a fitting coming off the head or block i can't really tell, it pops and shoots a small flame when the engine is running, & i can't find anywhere where the hose might connect to???? i've looked at diagrams & don't see this piece anywhere, anybody know why it does this & where this might connect to??? i'll try & post pics soon...

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You have lost me here will. Get a picture up of that hose and couple from where it starts out from.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Will do Bubba, thanks for trying to help in advance!!! I'll try & get a good pic in the morning...it's directly behind the bottom of the vro pump and the spark shoots out to a brkt the pump is attached to..??????? glad I got rid of the force aren't you proud!!:smile2:

4. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Im assuming this is a crossflow engine ,it will have 3 2 barrel carbs.
    ..if its a looper it will have a large V6 casted into the back of the engine exhaust bubble about 3" tall and the engine will be black
    if the hose is about 1/8" it is called an oil recirculation hose, it collects unused gas/oil that settles in the bottom of the intake just behind the carbs and before the reeds and sucks the puddled fuel into the intake ports, there will be 6 of them, one for each cyl
    if it is more like 1/2" coming from down low in the front of the engine . it is your fuel pump pulse line!!!
    the tan colored hose that is the center of the picture that goes strait left to right is a recirculation hose on a looper
    [​IMG]

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    That pic looks exactly like what I have..where does this hose connect to? it seems like someone tried to put a rubber cap on it w/a clamp & the " spark " burned a hole in it, now it just seems to shoot out from that port or nipple and makes a popping sound...

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    there is a small brass nipple that it slides onto,as een where the zip tie is on the hose in the pic ,,,,BUT they are VERY easly broken off, I had 2 of them broken and drilled them out when I redone my motor,,,you dont want ANY of the shavings to get in the cyl. if it is shooting sparks it is also sucking air =also making that cyl LEAN=get it fixed befor you burn up that cyl !!!!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Looks like Jeremy has that pretty well covered.

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i dont think mine is broken cuz there is still a hose attached to it w/a clamp, I just don't know where it goes from there forward???? What does it attach to & where? I'm still trying to get pics of it, i left it at my father in laws house & have to go get it Friday, my stepson is there & is trying to get pics to send me...thanks

9. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    first of all I could'nt find your model # anywhere in the books,so lets get one thing strait so I know what im thinking about
    "IS YOUR MOTOR A CROSSFLOW OR A LOOPER?"
    you say it looks like my motor, BUT if you say yours is a 1984-the 84 was a crossflow engine totoly diffrent engines....answer this- does it have 3 two barrel carbs or does it have 6 one barrel carbs, this will tell me for sure,
    this pic is the middle cyl on the left side of the engine, the meckanicel fuel pump is no longer there this is the end that goes into the intake between the carbs and the reeds.

[​IMG]

10. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    showing the full length of the hose,,,the one going up and down is the top main oiler line
    [​IMG]

11. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    does the back of your motor look just like this? ya see that silver 1" freeze plug above the V6? it will have some #s and letters on it ,,,post them here...
    [​IMG]

12. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    its a crossflow,, but they are not showing it here, let me know if ya need any parts for this engine, I got one torn apart in the shed
    [​IMG]

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I saw that diagragm, and couldnt see where that hose would attach to, like i said it looked like it was capped off at one point, but now it's got a hole in it & sparking and popping, I still havent got the pics yet. but i will have them this weekend, thanks

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    here are some pics of the hose i was talikng about

Attached Files:

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    here are some more...the hose is the light coloredone w/a zip tie on it

Attached Files:

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    this is the last one....

Attached Files:

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Bumping this up. maybe someone will know what or where it might go, i wonder if it was supposed to be plugged off?

18. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Looks like the air silencer hose that should be attatched to the air silencer, the base that connects in front of the carbs, should be a nipple on the bottom of the air silencer to attatch the hose.

19. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Found the air silencer hose & that wasnt it, that one is about 1/8 in diameter & connected to the front of the engine below the carbs....this one is about 3/8 diameter and is directly above the other 3/8 fitting that has a hose coming outta the bottom of the vro, it looks like it has a sensor or valve inline....does it maybe connect to the same hose w/a tee, or is it supposed to be capped off the way it was, i'm totally lost here....i looked on the diagram of the motor & the hose coming outta the bottom of the vro is called the flame arrestor kit, that connects to the bottom fitting below the one i am talking about, this fitting is just there capped off w/a piece of hose that blew a hole in it....:confused2:

20. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Willcat does your VRO work are you mixing your fuel.