83 model 70 Hp Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TennesseeJugger, Nov 26, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Went out last night put boat in and it fired up no problems, but when I go to put it in gear it would shut off. I kept starting and finally went into gear but when I gave it some gas it would shut down again. I finally was able to get to run but it would not run full speed under load. I stopped it and tried it again and it never would run under load. I t would run wide open in neutral.
    Any sugestions?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Pull the plugs out of the carb bowls and look at the inside of them. If they're caramel colored then it's an indication of what the inside of the carb is like. Could be just water in the gas also, which will cause you more problems.

How long has it been since you got that gas, and how long since you've run the engine.

Get ready for a lot more suggestions.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Almost forgot, be sure you've got spark on all cylinders.

4. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

The Gas was just put in yesterday just before I launched and I ran it last Sat. I pulled the plugs last night to look at them and they were fine.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Does it seem to smooth out/run better when hen you push in the choke/primer?

6. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    pourd out all the fuel and opened and flushed the carb bowls just to see if there was a water in the gas problem, replaced the fuel line and primer bulb, Put in three brand new spark plugs. Put on mouse ears turned on the water and wham! Boat fired right up. Put it in gear and gave it some gas and it was looking good. Took it out to Cumberland River at 231 boat ramp, backed in and lowered the motor. turned the key and it fired up. Put in gear and gave it some gas and nothing it cut off, tried several times and it kept cutting off under load. So I pulled the plugs and the only one that was burnt was the center one. So the top and bottom are not firing. I took it to my Boat guy Larry Hagan of Hagans boat repair and he said it is probably the power pack. He said that he had a used one that he will put on to see if that is the case and if so he would leave the used one on and the cost would be $50.00 plus labor or put on a new one for $125.00 plus labor. I told to go with the new one. He said that he should have me back in the water by next weekend..WOO-HOO!