'82 Mercury impeller replacement help

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by barbel, Jun 10, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I recently got a boat with an '82 Mercury 50hp outboard attatched to it, and it is neccessary to replace the impeller. How would I go about doing this? Where is the impeller/impeller housing located? And also, what is a trim tab? Any information would be incredibly helpful. Thanks :big_smile:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The impellor is in the water pump housing that sets on top of the lower unit and the drive shaft goes right through it. It's keyed to the drive shaft so it will turn and pump water when the engine's running.

It's rubber and wears out.

Trim tab on an engine would be the little rudder looking thingy that hangs down behind the prop. You have to remove most of them to get to one of the bolts that holds the lower unit to the midsection.

Remove the bolts holding the lower unit to the midsection and your lower unit will come off for water pump work.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This if it works should help you see what Bob is saying here.

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...&isForSupStore=false&cCatFilter=&eCatSupFldr=

Look on the right and that is a parts list. Each part is numbered and that will help you identify the parts.

4. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    The best advice I could give is to buy a manual. I know that they seem exspensive but are priceless when you need one. If you buy it just take care of it you will likley use it agin some day.