82 johnson-starter

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wigginsdano59, Nov 11, 2006.

1. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have an 82 johnson that has been run very little. i am going to have an electric starter put on the motor, my question is how involved would the job be to ad a rectifier and etc at th.e same time so the motor will charge the batteries. the model #is J25rcnb . thanks for the help.:lol: :lol: :lol:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Unless my wiring is completly messed up (my minds, not my books - LOL) that motor has a stator beneath the fly wheel. If the stator is there, and it and the corresponding diode is working, your motor should all ready re-charge a battery. Putting a starter on for electric start should not have anything to do with the charging system. If you have a manual on your motor, see if it has the stator... if you don't have a manual, you should be able to see the manual on-line. Hopefully you will get off cheap on this conversion.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lawrence that is a 1981 rope start commercial engine. It might have a charging system already Incorporated in the wiring but it will have to be taped.
    As for the starter you will have to change the fly wheel and add the other components. To many for me to list. You need to get a good Manuel on this engine if you are going to attempt this endeavor.

4. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the help. and no the flywheel will not have to be replaced

5. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i am going to take it to the shop . my mechanic said he could do the job for aout $300.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

If that flywheel doesn't have to be replaced then it has been changed out at sometimes or another or I am missing something one or the two. But of course I don't know everything.

7. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Willard, you may not know everything(and nobody knows everything) but you do a heck of a job! People that has never mechaniced for a livin dont understand how hard it is to diagnose something without looking at it.

Just had to get that off my chest, keep up the good work:big_smile: