82.3 blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Steve Douglas, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ohio River Nov 4th West point, KY
    what a day to be fishing the ohio river , i found a spot early today trying to stay out of the wind ,it was not to bad where i was at ,i caught alot of heavy fish including a 82.3 lb.er a tournament fishermans dream over 225 lbs. .fish bit steady until about noon . also cuaght a 45 lber several 30ish range a bunch of 10 lbers all in all an exellent day until the real drama starts. wind really starts to pic up , hard to keep the boat straight so i desided to leave got about a mile up stream and encounter 4 to 6 ft. swells . get almost to the ramp , im holden my own , then out of nowhere comes this rogue wave over the front of my boat fills the intire cavity with water ,broke my windsheild off into my face.,took my hat ., soaked my cell fone, not to mention the waters cold. after regrouping i turned my bilge pump on kept the nose in the air and made it back, with a newfound respect for the mighty ohio river . one minute shes good to you, the next minute she try to kill you.

NOTE ;;; RANGER BOATS ACTUALY DO STAY A FLOAT FILLED TO RIM WITH WATER

EVEN IF YOUR A SEASONED BOATER LIKE MY SELF OF 20 YEARS, DONT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN , IT MADE ME REVIEW MY BOATING SKILLS AGAIN......
    by the way i do have some fotos of my big fish but i dont know how to download them , again my fone got wet all my contacts like jw or eric are in it maybe some one could pm the procedure to me.
    Click Here to e-mail Akwa-Lung
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That just goes to show ya, sometimes you can do everything right and still get hammered by mother nature!!! Looks like the Ohio River wanted your hat, LOL!!!

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    well we can say congrats on a nice fish i got into some wind an swell like that about 2 years ago but not a bad put one over the bow of the boat had to trim it up an stand the boat up on end to make it back to the ramp it was a long ride back like that just glad to see you made it back ok

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Great fish! thanks for the pic but more importantly, Im glad to hear that you made it back safely Steve!

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    !!I HATE YOU!! Well maybe it's envy. Magnificant fish--thanx for the pic. Years ago I found myself in the same position==rouge wave-boat full of 44degree water-only boat on the water, but I didn't have a bilge pump. My buddies wore out 2 minnow buckets and a cooler throwing water out of that old Chrysler, while I kept the nose up. I still don't know how that motor kept running, with the battery and gas tank underwater. FUNNY THING>all 3 of us decided to go to church instead of fishing that Sunday.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Steve, congrats on the monster cat. Way to go on a great day.

7. jcgotfish

jcgotfish New Member

State:
    virginia
    awsome fish man. glad to hear you made it ok. i got caught in a bad storm one day tornado's were involved. lol . i came around bend and i thought my little tiny boat was going to flip over i swamped it on the shore and ran to a camper that was on the river. i was going to get under it but the people were just leaving their campsite and let me ride out the storm inside. whew it was scary. well gl on the water. be safe. take care . mike

8. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice blue! Glad to see you got back in one piece!

9. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Steve...thanks for the story......like you say makes us revamp our safety and boating skills.....Congrats on the big boy and all the other fine catches of the day for you.
    Jerry

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Outstandin fish! Thanx for the report and a great heads up.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Awesome catch Steve!!! Congrats on the great day on the water and thanks for sharing your story and photos.

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    BEAUTIFUL fish and awesome story. Glad to hear you made it back safely. thanks for sharing. was wondering if u kept any of th smaller fish for dinner? I know I woulda.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the HAWGG!! Mother nature can rear her ugly side quick and without warning.

14. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    That's a montster fish, Steve - congrats! Most importantly, tho, you came back safe & sound :crazy:

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats on the fish and glad you made it OK. Thanks for the pic.

16. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Douglas;
    Steve, FIRST of all, I am Very HAPPY you came out of that experience with a "WIN" against Mother Nature! I've been on the OHIO many, many, times and she is a Lady that you MUST Respect at ALL times! Even then, ... ... things can, and have, happened!!:sad2:
    Thankfully your skills and equipment were up to the challenge!! I've seen larger, better equipped boats captained by Coast Guard, River Patrol, River Search and Rescue, ect, that did not fare better!!!
    {THANK YOU} for sharing your, shall we say, adventure, with the rest of us and for the info about the boat you were using staying afloat! :big_smile: I'm sure that many other members will find that particular tidbit of information very useful when they go for a new boat next spring! :big_smile:
    Also, "THANK YOU" for sharing the info on those "BIGGUNNS" you caught too! :wink::big_smile::smile2: That almost makes the danger you experienced worth the risk!!!:eek:oooh: :wink:
    I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of those pictures if your able to save them!
    Thanks again for sharing the story and the pic.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

17. rivercatter

rivercatter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice cat there bud.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WooHoo SUPERHAWG!!! Congrats on the hawg, and an awesome day of catfishing. Reps to ya, and glad you're safe.

19. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    man thats one heck of a fish congrats and thanks for the pics

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man I cant imagine landingone like that, it would have eaten my PB Blue!:crazy: Congrats on the fish and I am glad you made it out safe. Looks like mother nature wanted to make you pay for that hawg huh?