808 or 888?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ghoulscout 13, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    hey guys i have an old diawa casting rod and i want to know which you guys think i should get for it... the rod is 6'6" medium action and the line rating is for 18-27 pound test, any ideas and thoughts whould be great, thanks alot

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I were you, I would get an Ambassadeur 5000 or bigger. They are great casting reel and will hold more line than the 808 or 888. Out of the 808 and the 888, I would get the 888. It is a little better reel, but either reel would be fine in a small lake or pay lake(if you have to go to a pay lake, I don't like them). Hope that helps!!

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a 808 and a 888 that work fine after 25+ years of fresh and saltwater use.Both have been repeatedly spooled by huge saltwater fish.Some were seen and weighed 100's of pounds when huge sharks would take our 3 to 30 lb.catch before we could reel it in.Re spool if needed and you are back to fishing.With the properly rated line and drag settings,either reel will do its job and survive the imposable to fish another day.Do not follow the instructions and you can turn it into a piece of junk in a few minutes..I have fished fresh and saltwater for 50+ years.I do believe that the salt water rated equipment of any manufacture is normally built tougher and will last longer.peewee-williams

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Thanks for the ideas, i would get the abu but im poor and could get the 808 or 888 for like half its cost, im probley gonna hit up either the flea market and/or some yard sales this week end if i can find a good deal ill take it, wish me luck

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have a 888 thats at lest 25 years old I still use it theres no telling how many fish that have been caught on it the 888 is one well made reel:big_smile:

6. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    my next ones going to be a 808 with a star drag i hav ambassaders now but want to break the manateny..i hear all good on them 888 and 808s.good luck