Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

808 Boss Hawg Combo

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  tnkatman 
#1 ·
Anybody see the Boss Hawg combo's by Zebco , it's an 808 on a 7ftpower flex solid fiber rod ? Found them at Walmart recently for $25and change What do ya think of then????

#2 ·
Thats what I'm gonna buy Regina for her first cat rod.She won't use a bait caster or spinning reel.It should hold up to 20 pound fish easy and bigger if you take your time and don't horse them.I saw a guy bring in a 29.5lb flattie on a zebco 33 with 15lb test line.Took 30-45 mins but did it.I netted it for him.

#6 ·
I have a zebco 808 boss hog. I have had it 2 years, I dont much like it. I fish with mitchell rods and reels. I have two mitchell 300's and a mitchell avocet. dont get me wrong its probably a great combo but I love my spinning reels. the wife fishes with zebco 33's and they are great reels. The biggest cat i ever caught was 8 or 10 pounds. i caught a few with the boss hog and couldent even tell i had em on. I would probably love it if i caught a few big cats with it, but they are few and far between in my area. morel of the story is its probably great in a big body of water where you know there is big cats. casts great and real strong..

#8 ·
It will be fine for overall fishing, say channels, carp, drum , gills , bass.... For targeting larger cats over 20 lbs regularly you wont like it. Drag blows and you can't put enough 40lb mono on it to cast very far. But for a starter reel it should do fine. I had a buddy that tried to use one for flatheads and all he did was break his rod in three pieces. I went out and got Abu's and shimanos after I seen that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.