808 Boss Hawg Combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by jailcop2, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Anybody see the Boss Hawg combo's by Zebco , it's an 808 on a 7ftpower flex solid fiber rod ? Found them at Walmart recently for $25and change What do ya think of then????

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats what I'm gonna buy Regina for her first cat rod.She won't use a bait caster or spinning reel.It should hold up to 20 pound fish easy and bigger if you take your time and don't horse them.I saw a guy bring in a 29.5lb flattie on a zebco 33 with 15lb test line.Took 30-45 mins but did it.I netted it for him.

3. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I love that. I would kill for a few of those combos.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

OHNO!!! Wal-mart Sporting Goods Employees Better Run!!!!!!!!!! :big_smile: :lol: :lol:

5. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I bought one last year. The rod is fine but my reel isn't worth much. One of my friends got one at the same time and his reel works great. I think that overall, it's worth buying for a knock around rig.

6. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a zebco 808 boss hog. I have had it 2 years, I dont much like it. I fish with mitchell rods and reels. I have two mitchell 300's and a mitchell avocet. dont get me wrong its probably a great combo but I love my spinning reels. the wife fishes with zebco 33's and they are great reels. The biggest cat i ever caught was 8 or 10 pounds. i caught a few with the boss hog and couldent even tell i had em on. I would probably love it if i caught a few big cats with it, but they are few and far between in my area. morel of the story is its probably great in a big body of water where you know there is big cats. casts great and real strong..

7. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have one and caught a 20 pounfd flatty on it

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    It will be fine for overall fishing, say channels, carp, drum , gills , bass.... For targeting larger cats over 20 lbs regularly you wont like it. Drag blows and you can't put enough 40lb mono on it to cast very far. But for a starter reel it should do fine. I had a buddy that tried to use one for flatheads and all he did was break his rod in three pieces. I went out and got Abu's and shimanos after I seen that.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I Would remend A Abu 6000 combo from Wal-mart u will be better off.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'd just get an Abu 6000 and an Ugly Stik Catfish rod, I know it will cost more than the combo. but in the long run you'll be better off.