80 lb Blue catfish

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by jailcop2, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Saw on the news latnight , a couple of guys landed an 80lbs Blue cat on THE Missouri at the Dodge Park area by Council Bluffs . They plan on trying to get either Bass Pro , or Cabelas to display it , if not then take it back to the river .Brian

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, they tried that with Splash and it did not survive very long. They should leave well enough alone and just CPR the big fish!!

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know we all like to show off big fish if we catch em...but it would be really unfortunate if that fish had to end its long life by being confined to an aquarium. I think people don't stop and think about what is best in situations like that...I know I would feel really bad if I made the wrong decision and it ended up dying. I've had a 5 lb flathead die because I kept it out of the water too long taking pictures of it and showing it off to other fishermen and it just made me sick because I just wanted to show off my first flathead and then put it back. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I killed off a trophy fish like that! CPR it and let it put on a few more pounds for the next challenger.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ya they tried it with the current world record blue also to display at cabelas but it died in transport. When they get that big it's hard to keep them alive and although we like to look at them they deserve more than being in a tank the rest of there life. Chances are cabelas and bass pro wont even take it unless its a record of some kind. Get a weight take some photos and put them back for the future fishermen to enjoy. We have a local couple that caught a 83# blue on LOZ the other day, sad part is he keeps every thing.
    We may spend a life time trying to catch a fish of that size. JMO but I would get more enjoyment knowing he's still swimming as a freezer full of fillets.

Thanks for shareing that Brian, hopefully they let him go and he will swim down to Bartlett and let you try to land him....

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    No problem all , to bad they did'nt just snap some pics and let it go .
    Brian

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This is just my thinking but I believe when giant fish are caught on small bait it could be because it may be having a hard time catching it's normal food. I don't know what I am talking about but all really big fish go down hill at some point. I also know that most of the largest fish I have seen in my life were dead floating in the water with, cause of death unknown but may be just end of life.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree. As much as I would like to see the fish, I would rather it got released so it could have a better chance to survive and be a better contender for a world record.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    That is definantly a hog, it deserves to be put back in the river

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Just photo and release , its not like the fish will be that good to eat any way.

10. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    That would be awsome to catch something that big, but i'd crap my pants to see a monster like that come up outta the water.. kinda like grumpier old men i'd have to take a pic and let the old bugger go. like they always say is a pic is worth a 1000 or more words

11. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ain't that why we got digatal cameras and hand sized recorders for??

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yes sir, that is exactly what they are for. They make em waterpoof for times like this.

13. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
  14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Now that's a monster cat!

15. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    now that was a nice blue thanks for the video love watching catches like that

16. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    couldn't get the video...any suggestions​

17. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

That was a real nice catch for sure on cut carp. Thanks for sharing the video...