80 HP Mariner losing power

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by shane12970, Mar 29, 2008.

1. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    i have an 80 hp mariner took it out yester day and it would run good for a few min then like it was loosing gas just slowely power down... i could pull throttle back and then wot and run good for a few min.. im thinkig it carb... i pulled plgs and they had alot of carbon build up on them.. im thinking of doing carb rebuild what do you guys think..also another problem i had was after we fished for awhile . i could turn the starter and it would turn for like 5 sec. andthen stop.. like the starter was getting hot.. i took off covers and the starter was cool to touch ... done this for 30 min then it was fine...thanks in advance

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When you ask what we think, your asking opinions... so here goes. The problem you described does seem to be a fuel related problem. It never (to my knowledge) hurts to rebuild and clean the carburetors. It's possible your fuel lines are starting to deteriorate also. Think is costs about $6.00 to get enough fuel line to replace all of them. Another overlooked gadget is the fuel pump. You can get a repair kit for it for about 25-30 dollars, and then you wonder how those little gaskets could possibly be worth so much. LOL. You can get the repair kits at your local auto parts stores, and generally cheaper than at marine stores. I'm sure Bubbakat would also recommend you de-carb your motor. There is instructions around several places explaining the procedure -I know in Bubba's section and possibly in the Library. No idea as to the starter problem. Probably in the electrical system as battery, cables, bendix, or the starter itself. Oh, by the way, once you get the components rebuilt, don't forget to do the link 'n' sync and throttle linkage adjustments.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    On the starter I would start by cleaning all the connections from the starter all the way to the battery. I am talking cleaning now and not a that looks good to me and leave it still with the nut on it. A bad ground will wreak havoc on an electral system.

Get you a bottle of sea foam or engine tuner. Sea foam is my choice. Put you a gal of fuel mix in a portable tank and mix about 3 or 4 oz of sea foam in it. Put the muffs on in the yard and run about 1/3 or 1/2 of mixture at idle and then remove plugs and squirt some inside plug holes while engine is warm and let it set foe an hour. Take it to the water and run it at wot for a few min and then let it cool for about fifteen min then put some more in the plug holes and run it for about 15 min at WOT.

Then go back to your regular mix and add about 2 oz of sea foam to the mix and run like you normally do. This should clean all the carbon out. After doing all this then change plugs. I would add 2 oz of sea foam every time I filled up the fuel. this is a good stabilizer and cleaner to.

If the plugs are a year old then go ahead and change them out after the decarb. If you run a gap type plug then gap them at 40 and it will make it burn better at low idle speed.

4. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I had the same problem on my merc. found a hole in the float and had to replace it.

moose

5. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    thanks all.. will do asap...on the fuel pump.. is there another electric fuel pump..besides the fuel bulb that you pump by hand.. and ive looked everywhere for a serial number .. can someone tell where its at..thanks bunches gyuys shane

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The motor serial number should be located on the mounting bracket, where it fastens to the boat. Check the left side for a small data plate.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The fuel pump is located up on the side of the engine. Don't think I am trying to get smart here with you but you really need a manuel on this engine. It will be worth the money spent.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It should look something like this.

Attached Files:

9. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    ha ha ha .. getting smart... i thought the fuel pump was the bulb...lmao... im going to take to shop thanks guys...