#80 Fireline.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by alton, Sep 7, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 300 yrd spool of #80 Fireline which I would like to use. I have never used Fireline and plan to spool it on my 7000iCS Pro Rocket. I will be using a 12' rod with the reel. My question is will this line cast as well as 20-25lb mono. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I hate to make any categoric statements but; NOPE!!! It wont.! I dont think they even make 80lb fireline anymore simply because there wasnt much demand for it.It was to thick and unwieldy.I used 50lb and it was ok on the big spinning reels that I use but 80 just didnt work well at all.It might do better on a bait caster but I would be surprised.If that is first generation Fireline I wouldnt even use it because it frays and separates easily and I dont think you will be able to tie a decent knot with it.Like anything free I would take this advice with a grain of salt but I have tried to use it before and gave up on it.In fact I gave up on fireline period and switched to braid which is much better for me.:big_smile::smile2:

3. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    While I am a power pro man myself, I personally think braided is much easier to cast on a baitcaster than mono. I use 50 on my reels, and I love it, I don't see a problem on a reel that is that big. Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck, and you might try power pro, I have compared it to other lines, and it definitely hold up the best! IMHO

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use the 50lb and 65lb PP on bait casters and love it. I haven't used mono in years. I know a lot of guys like it.
    I do use a mono leader 50lb big game. It does help with abrasion that the braids can't handle.
    thanks
    Larry

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Braid will not cast as far as mono. Also if you get in hung and pull from the reel you will create some serious problems. It is sometimes difficult to untangle. Good Luck on what you decide.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Personally I only use fireline on all my rigs from trout to tuna, I gave up on mono about a year ago, xcept for leaders. I dont have any problem casting as long as when you spool your reels you get it tight on there. I've tried just about all the braids and like fireline the best. JMHO

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    It should cast just fine. Just beware of the backlash. If you encounter some backlash it will be a reel pain in the a$$, because you will most likely loose a lot of your line to tangles. :crazy:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would make an additional comment that FIRELINE is a fused line not a braid and that braided lines in my experience do cast farther than mono.I use 80lb braid on 16, PENN 7500 spinning reels and will go against anybody trying to cast 80lb mono.Braids being much thinner than equivalent mono, cast much better on spinning reels because there is no loop memory in braid,therefore it passes through those spinning guides with much less friction.I have heard that backlashes on BCs are a bitch.I have thrown some good clumps over the years myself due to over filling spools but have found braid easier to pick apart because it doesnt cut into itself like mono.IT DOES TAKE PATIENCE however to find the loop that locks or unlocks I should say,the mess.:big_smile::crazy::smile2:

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I use PowerPro. I'll never go back to mono on my spinning reels. Took the twist problems completely out of them. And it's the best casting line I've ever used. The only problem in 5 years of using that I've really had is that it will bury itself in the spool if you backlash bad enough with a bait caster. I think that's happened to me 2 or maybe 3 times so far. I'm on year 5 with one reel and it's not even close to weakening. When it does, I'll just turn it around and it's new again. To each his own, but don't discount the braids til you try them yourself. Good stuff in my opinion.

10. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    braid will not cast like mono line if it would dont u think all of the pro long distance caster would be useing it? and after useing it for a short time the braid starts to cut into its self and start causeing back lash:wink: