8' rods for bank fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Sep 12, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    does anyone use 8 footers for bankfishing?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have an eight footer, Lumiglass, pole I pull out every once and awhile. Mainly when heading towards the dam are down to Santee. It is a spinning model with another daiwa 5050 sealine reel. I like it but for "big fish" waters. I also use it surf and pier fishing at the coast. Along with the 12 footers

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thats about the ideal size in my opinion ,if I only had 1 pole it's what I would pick, good casting and lifting .

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sorry, 10s here.

:cool2:

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    for bank fishin i prefer 10' , outa the boat i use 7'

6. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i use a 9ft and a 11ft eagle claw with 6500 bait runners.

7. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Hi. I use 2 -9 foot pen rods with master anniversary gold series bait casters, and i also use 2- 7 foot garcia work horse rods with shakespere Tide water 10,s bait casters and a 6 foot pen rod with a ocuma bait runner. 8 foot rods are not bad rods and i use to use nothing but 8 foot rods and did alot of bank fishing with them. you can throw them allmost as far as a 9-10-or 12 foot rods. If you got them use them, good luck fishing

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I use 2 of my 8 footers and I have 7ft 6in that I use, all for bank fishing.

When on a boat I use 6ft 6in and 7 foot.

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Use 7 To 7 1/2 Footers, Anything Longer Than That Is To Long For Me.

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks guys i might get an 8ft cabelas king cat or a 6'6" king cat rod. havent decided yet. anyone been to the one in west virginia? do they have any of these rods left? i surely hope so!

11. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I may do a lot of fishing but i have been stuck with a 7' rhino, but im not saying i have a horrible rod but i sure would like to get a brand new 8 foot rod!

12. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Why is it that everyone like 7'+ rods for bank fishing? Is it so they had just a lil bit more casting range? Or is it for leverage on fighting the fish?

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'v said this before so here goes again.. LOL.... I prefer my 11' 6" St Croix (Wild river) pole for bank fishing! It's the only pole that gan get the bait where I need it off the bank! Plus it's really sensitive! I reccomend this rod for anyone up in NE.PA! LIL pricey at $110. but I love em for cattin'.

14. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO

kinda both but the main reason i use a 12 and 15 ft is that when i am reeling in i don't hit hardly any snags if i use my wifes 8ft we get nothing but snags
    at the river

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nothing UNDER 10ft for me when banking! i have 2 cabelas 11ft predator rods that i use for channels and can blast a peice of cutbait 100 yards or more if needed.

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I know there are benefits to longer rods, but I just can't see myself using one. I currently use a heavy action Surge rod which is 7' 10" (may as well say 8') and there are times when it is too long due to trees etc. Also, it doesn't fit well in the bed of my Ranger. :tounge_out:

17. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I like the 7' + rods for the casting ranges cause I use the bigger baits to throw.

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Benefits of longer rods/OPINION:

1) Cast farther.

2) If the rod has a LONGER BUTT it gives more leverage on BIG BIG baits.

3) If longer butt you do not give up much leverage when fighting big fish. You can find the longer butts on the longer rods.

4) When using upright rod holders with longer rods they can keep you out of the debris if there is much floating down the river. Most I find is along the shoreline.

5) They give you a bit more control of where you can land a fish due to added lenght.

6) If alot of snags one can keep the rod higher to keep one away from the bottom when fighting the fish or just rebaiting.

Note: They take a bit more room to cast and transport.

:smile:

19. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good post Steve,I use 10ft rods from the bank and 8 ft rods from a boat.

20. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    The river I fish, 8-ft is fine. If I really wanted I could cast to the otherside but most places I got I can cast into a nice section and all is well. Both 8-ft rods that I use are MH action.