8 gauge shotgun

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by ole whiskers, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Are there any 8 gauge shotguns out there? Heard about them but not much information.

2. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    They are sometimes used in industrial applications......mounted on tripods. Some paper mills have them for shooting lime balls in lime kilns.

3. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    It seems to me I read an article a few years back on converting Spanish 10 gauges to 8 gauge. I have some unfired Winchester hulls, as well as wads from Ballistic Products. Now if I could just afford the gun, it'd sure turn heads at the next turkey shoot!!!
    From what I remember they were expensive conversions. I keep praying to find a used one for sale somewhere....

4. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    are they legal to own?:confused2:

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Many states outlawed 8 and 10 gauge shotguns in hunting applications. Way back when they had 10 gauge guns with 50+ inch barrels, if you could see the goose you could hit it. They were an unfair advantage and were wiping out geese and ducks where ever they were being used.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I seem to remember reading an article on 8-10 gauge shotguns from over in England, I think theyre fairly popular over there. Some wild looking flames coming off them barrels.

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    10ga is the largest legal shotgun that can be used in the US.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    might be a little rough to shoot..

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 8 guage or 8 bore as they were more commonly referred to, were used for industrial hunting of waterfoul before and just after the turn of the century. They almost descimated the waterfoul pupulations in this country. They were mounted on a stand because they were too big to shoot from the shoulder.

There's also an 8 bore that was used in Africa for elephant hunting shooting a single slug. I believe it was made to be fired from the shoulder. OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW! Don't think a limbsaver pad would help much on that thing!

The 8 guage I believe is illegal to hunt with in just about any state, but don't think they're illegal to own.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got to look at a 4 bore and hold it. it had i think a 50" barrel. man was that thing cool! yes they are legal to own and shoot, but not to hunt with. they were used to shoot roosting flocks of waterfowl in the market hunting days. i always hear about them wiping out a flock of ducks with a single shot, and i don't believe it. a big part of a flock, but not the whole dang thing! THEY'RE DUCKS, NOT SHAD!

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I had a 10 ga and shot that sucker one time and that was enough for me. The only shells I could find were double magnum and that thing kicked the snot out of me sold it for little or nothing. Talk about leaving a shoulder yellow.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have posted about this in the past.I saw and got to shoot a single barrel one on the Santee as a Kid.(with help!)It was shot with hand loaded Brass Black Powder shells.A shell was "down loaded" so that I could stick the stock under my armpit and against a folded jacket which was against a tree.It still "put a hurten" on me.Game Wardens and law enforcement were also present.They were good to us kids this way.I saw that gun "put a hurten" on some big experienced men that day.They had some old Store Bought Smokeless Powder paper shells,but would not shoot them in it.

There was also a old big muzzle loader there that was much bigger!It was stuck into and weighted with truck tires and shot!I remember a bag of powder was poured down it and then the bag was packed over the powder with a rod.Then the shot was poured over this out of a waxy feeling bag and then this bag was packed over the shot.the gun was positioned into the tires.A cap was put on it and the trigger was pulled by a long cord.WOW,what a boom!It put a tremendous pattern out over the lake.No cut wads such as we use were used.

If you caught the ducks strung out rafting or a large flock,you could sure kill a pile of ducks going by the pattern on the water.The game wardens said they were made much bigger and even small military cannon mounted on rafts and large craft were legally used on baited areas way back.I would have loved to have seen it done.Those folk saw no end to the plenty.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    "Smokeless Powder loaded shotgun shells".

Gauge- Drams of powder- Weight of shot in oz.
    12- 3- 1 1/8
    10- 3 1/4- 1 1/8
    8- 5 1/2- 1 3/4

Taken from page #163 of a copy of parts of the 1906 Edition of the Sears,Roebuck,& Co.Catalog.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee