8-31 Rend Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bwhupp, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    So who is heading out to Rend Lake this weekend and or camping? I am going to be camping with my father Friday - Monday morning. Will probably be at Hickman's Point... but I think that the camping spots might be rough to snag due to it being a long weekend! :crazy:

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    we'll be out there sunday. where's hickman's point? never heard of it.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    It is one of the 'fingers' around in Wayne. The one that branches off into the boat ramp.

4. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I sure hope you boys do some good on rend this time...It sure would do my heart some good to know there are fish still in there...lol

Catch a bunch Brian and Shane...I hope you two can hook up and at least say hello...:wink:

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep you all have a great time and give us the low-down on the fishing :wink: Be safe this weekend! I find it hard to venture past the pond on holiday weekends :eek:oooh:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ok, i know where thats at. we'll be on the west fork at the bluegill hole, although your probably already there right now and wont see this:roll_eyes:

7. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian, My brother and I were fishing Gun Creek area Saturday ..... kept an eye out for you. They bit slow on garlic shrimp..... came home with 14, biggest around 5#.

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the report, Dean. Not bad for a days work! :wink:

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Got some pictures of the catch. Sunday...the fish only hit on nightcrawlers. Was weird.

We didn't fish Saturday night... woke up real early Sunday to go bassing and didnt get anything as usual.

Here are some pictures of the catch!

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    First group of photos

11. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Next batch. :big_smile:

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Another grouping of pictures..

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Brian - looks like you and your Dad had a good time. Thanks for the report and pics.

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    During the day.. we caught everything on garlic shrimp along the shallows by honkers point and jackie branch.

Nighttime, we fished the area again and nothing! Moved along the riprap along the highway and where it meets with jackie branch.. nolthing... finally moved to gun creek and fished between that first island and the bank. That's where we started to pop them jugging. But they would not touch hotdogs or garlic shrimp. They only wanted nightcrawlers.

Didn't catch anything in deep water... they wanted to go shallow. The 8lber was caught in 1.5 foot of water. Was a nightmare to try and get it in the boat! The lake is soooo low it is terrible. Bottomed the boat several times and had to try and oar and muscle through the mucky bottom. All weekend.. was catching them all on 1-3 foot of water.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Brian, Glad to see that you and yer pop had a great time and that he is doing much better, nice mess of meat ya got there, if we don't get some major rain around the area pretty soon it is gonna be ugly by spring, maybe this "tropical" system they say is gonna move in will do us all some good. My rain dace must be busted so you better get your grove on Brother!

16. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Watched the weather this morning and says rain is in the forcecast all week. Let's hope that the much needed rain starts to fix ourlakes, rivers and streams! Lord knows I am tired of bottoming the boat out! If I wanted to use oars all the time, I'd have gotten a canoe.

17. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great job buddy...I am so glad you got some fish on the jugs...I would have been feeling pretty upset if you didn't...After I turned you on to the jugs...Well looks like you are a pro at it now buddy...Great Job...You look just like your Dad...he looks like he is feeling better...:wink:

keep it up buddy...you will get him turned into a catfisherman before long...

18. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well, it is slowly starting to hit him. He gets *@&#&@^ off when we go bass fishing because we don't catch crap. We go catting and we get some meat for dinners!

He actually said he enjoyed jugging... so I am making some more. Modifying my paint jobs to make them universal for nighttime and daytime jugs.

I been painting them in a checkerboard fashion with flourescent paint and then leaving clear plastic squares. That way all I need to do is toss a glowstick and go fishing at night!

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Have you ever heard of those jug rigs where you can tie them off to a stump or tree using a rubber strap?

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Nope. Sure haven't... havent seen them anyways but they would make sense if you don't want to actively fish with them.

Each time I have gone jug fishing, that is about all I do. I throw out like 18 of them puppies and just sit back waiting until one pops, then retrieve. I don't mind just sitting on a lake doing nothing but staring at the water.