8/31/09 Susquehanna River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by ifishway2much, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ifishway2much

ifishway2much New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well, Sunday night into Monday morning turned out to be a pretty good last trip of the year for a couple newbies on Susquehanna catfishing. My buddy, his father, and I have made 10 or less trips this year to the Susquehanna River to try and find out how to catch the big flatheads we kept reading about. We kept trying new spots until we finally found an area that was producing good numbers of fish and had good bottom structure. There were a few nights that we landed close to 30 fish (including both flathead and channel with this total). My buddy landed a 23 lb fish several weeks ago and we had a feeling there could be bigger fish. My personal best was a mere 10 lbs or so until the other night. Overall the bite was slower than other nights but I ended up with about 8 or 9 fish total with two going over 30 lbs. One weighted in at 32 lbs and the other at 34 lbs. Both were released to grow bigger for next year. Wow, what an experience this summer has been. I also included a picture of a fish that was landed but never actually hooked. We caught several small fish this summer using the same technique. The bluegill gets stuck in the mouth of a small fish. This is a good example to show that you can't use a bait that is too big. We used 8" bluegills most of the summer. I'll be spending the rest of my free time Salmon and Steelhead fishing around Lake O and Lake E tribs this Fall and Winter. Good luck to all willing to stay up all night and still make it to work on time the next day. BTW - thanks for all the helpful posts to get a newbie started!!! This is a great catfish site.

Attached Files:

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Great job bro! Where on the Susky where you?

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    nice fish Anthony. you shouldn't give up yet as the fishing is going to get much better soon. congrats on the ones you caught.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Awesome job! Welcome to the BOC!:cool2:

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
  6. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    AGREED

7. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    ,Good fish:cool2:, congrats

8. :crazy:Nice friggin Flatie Anthony, and great report and pics.:roll_eyes:

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the club.:wink:

9. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Real nice fish there. Congratulations to you!

Ray

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Congrats on the nice fish!

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Really nice flattie Anthony!Welcome to the BOC.:0a25:.