8/26 on the Potomac

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by jonnycat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Yesterday my son(aka Majorcat) turned 14 yrs old. We got to Marshall Hall right at 6am. Took 3 menhaden from a bait shop near here just in case. Picked up 2 nice cutter sized shad pretty easily and headed up to near Ft Washington. Planned on being off the water by 10:30am at latest. Got a phone call from my sister about 9:30 while watching the, "Spirit of Washington", coming down the river on a pleasure cruise. We decided to pull the lines in before the waves were on us. While reeling in the pole to the deepest side with only one hand, and still on the phone, I felt the familiar tug. Told my son to take this pole, and said goodbye to my sister. We got it in the boat just as the cruise boat was passing maybe 75yds away. Those on the top deck were interested to say the least. It weighed in at a hefty 24lbs on my Shimano 100lb scale. Took a picture of Majorcat and away it went. Until we got that fish things didn't look too promising, but it can look up rather quickly when you get a fish while preparing to head home. Made his birthday decent after all. Home by noon and can't wait to go again soon. Later for now---jonnycat

2. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    COngrats! It's always nice not to get skunked! How strong was the current moving while you were out there? I'm trying to get out there for a night trip soon, but I know it's hard to get off the water once the action picks up and it will make for a very late night. I'm sure if I hit it at night, I'll be fishing in either shallower water or suspended fish.

Mike

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Jonny- As soon as your kids are back in school we're heading out for a bit... I still have your cooler from last time, so I'll bring that down too. We'll get into some good ones this time too :)

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Johny hih tide was at 10:30 am saturday i was up river around the bridge. Bite pick up at around 10 and was still good at noon when i pulled out. I love when the big ship goes by seems i always catcha nice fish then.

5. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have to agree with you on that one Tim. I've only fished the Potomac a few times(maybe 15) since the week following Thanksgiving of last year. We've not seen too many big vessels, but the ones that have come by seem to help. My experiences on the James after one passes is usually positive. I'm a night man myself, but anytime the water is churned up by big vessels(barges, ships, yatchs), it seems to make quite a difference. I'll be heading back out again really soon to try it again. Later for now---jonnycat

6. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Johnnycat
    I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. Never hear from you. You still go to Hicks' to get your eaters? Did you ever put those guys on a big cat after they at least got to see some on the James?
    I'll call you sometime and maybe we can get together.

7. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Its me Jacob, and I'm still around. I think about you every time I pass through Port Royal. Hope all is well with you. We'll have to fish together this Fall sometime. Today is the first full day of school here in AA County, MD. 2 girls & a boy, junior, sophomore, and he's in the 9th. I feel like a bird this morning with newly grown wings. After they get their schedules all squared away, I'll be starting my 1-2 times a week fishing. Target day is Wed, Thurs, and Tues, in that order. Keep in touch. Later for now---jonnycat