8/19/07 pictures

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by samh, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Catfish65

Catfish65 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Sam for the awesome pics!

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I'd say about your only problem this season is knowing which one to harvest...lol. My expression after those pics is the same as all the other times before....:dribble:

-Red

3. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks great pics sam

4. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    That is a good looking crop you have coming on. Do you feed a supplement? I tried it but I don't know if it helps. You must not have a lot of hogs and turkeys in your area.

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I keep 4 feeders out year round and feed a 16% cow feed in the. Thankfully no hogs right around here, but we do have a pretty good turkey crop. Coons are the biggest pain with the feeders.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well, Sam, those "batchelors" are just getting better and better. And looks like those does are getting "crankier"!! Those twins sure are cute; you got some pictures of fawns last year, also, didn't you?
    I really like the picture of the fresh cut hay field; those rolling hills. Man, you've really got "room to breathe" out there.
    Thanks again....for giving us all something to hope for this fall!!:wink:

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Yep, Ladyfish, I've lived here all my life,my brother and I are 5th generation of our family to live on this farm, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. That bunch of trees just to the left of the feeder is my house,about 250 yards north of the feeder, I built it on the same spot as my Mom & Dad's first house stood. I was born and raised in a house only 1/4 mile north of there, my daughter and her family live there now ( 6th and 7th generation), but they are fix'n to build a house about 150 yards south of that feeder.

8. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Do you know where all these bucks range when they disburse and quit running together? I have to feed w/ mechanical feeders because of hogs and turkeys. I've found that a mature buck want come to a mechanical feeder during the daylight hours. You might get a picture at 2 or 3 in the morning but they want be at the feeder. That way its hard to tell what happens until they start laying down scrapes.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's great Sam. Families together, that's the way it should be. And especially holding on to the land for generations. You should be very proud of all you & your family have accomplished.

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've been feeding and use'n trail cameras here around home for the last 4 years, every summer I get lots of bucks until about mid-Sept. when they shed their velvet and the bachelor groups bust up, then up to 1/2 of them will disappear completely, and the rest of the mature bucks that stay will go just about totally nocturnal around the feeders until mid to late Jan., then if they've made it through the season most of the ones who left will show back up. If we're hunting bucks we may hunt heavy cover and trails close to the feeders, but not right around the feeders themselves, the doe still show up, so the bucks will be around, but they just don't come into the feeders during daylight during deer season. Last year I had a friend show me some pictures he got off his trail camera on his farm in Nov., about 3 miles from mine, of a group of 4 bucks that I recognized as ones that had left my feeder, then in late Jan, they showed back up on mine.