8/16 Potomac River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by critter68, Aug 18, 2008.

1. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Got out on the Potomac again Saturday night. Beautiful full moon and just the slightest hint of a breeze. I met a guy named DJ who gave me a good mess of perch for bait (I got started too late to catch them myself - Thanks DJ!) I didn't fill the gas tank so I didn't go far from the ramp. I did manage to catch a 20 pounder who took my perch even though he had a 14 inch bass in his throat. Greedy bugger! (post picture later!) Also ended up with several between 5 and 15 pounds and Sunday morning a striper caught himself on my perch - literally. The hook wasn't even in his mouth! The perch was in his mouth sideways and he couldn't spit it because the perch's dorsal fins acted like a hook! All in all a very nice time on the river.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you had excellent fishing!!

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Do you know of any bank fishing areas on the Potomac? My brother lives in Maryland and we want to try to find a middle ground to fish between Richmond and Maryland. He says he can fish the Potomac with a Maryland fishing permit.... I think if he's on the Virginia side he needs a Virginia permit.. but we'll cross that bridge once we find a place to fish.
    thanks
    david

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    You might want to check the reciprocal fishing agreements again, David. I know that one exists between Maryland and West Virginia, so that you can fish from either bank with a single license.

There is a restaurant at the end of a pier in Fariview Beach, Virginia. It is my understanding that they placed the restaurant there many years ago because it is actually in Maryland, since Maryland's state line extends across the river just offshore of Virginia. Because the Maryland's liquor and gambling laws were far more lenient than Virginia's, the restaurant could operate more "freely"! :cool2:

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    This is an excellent fishing report, Jacob. That perch-hook concept is phenomenal! :big_smile:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip, thanks for posting the report and good luck in the future

7. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Finally got around to uploading the pics from Saturday night's trip. Check out Mr Striper who couldn't toss the perch because the dorsal fin was hooking his gills. And the other pic is a bass that the 20 pound catfish had in his mouth when he tried to eat my 6 inch perch!

Attached Files:

8. MDBuckeye

MDBuckeye New Member

State:
    From Ohio in Maryland now
    Dallison - You and your brother can fish either side of the Potomac river if you both have licenses from Maryland or VA. Reciprocity states that in case of differences in the state laws Maryland laws prevail. WV has the same thing with Maryland on the upper Potomac.

I have no idea about bank fishing on the lower Potomac but there are places up between Georgetown and Point-of-Rocks you can get to above DC. I have read and heard that below some of the spoils areas, I think power plants, there are some good spots that hold cats year round. There are plants on the upper and lower Potomac near DC.