7mm remington mag.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flatheaddundee, Nov 10, 2005.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    I just purchased a new rifle chambered in the 7mm rem mag and I just wanted to hear some testimonials.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We cant use rifles here in OHio, but I have heard lots of good things about the 7MM. A buddy of my dads has one & love sit. It should take care of anything in North America.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent heard anything bad about them. Ive always stuck to my 30-06 but have friends who love their 7mm mag, seems to have less recoil when I shot his.

4. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    7mm is a good calibur. Long range and flat shooting. There really isn't anything on this continent you can't take with it. I used to hunt ALaska and that is a great all around gun.

-Brian

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    he's right, fast and flat shooting. bullet size comparable to a .243 but with much better numbers. try remington dot com and federal cartridge and use their ballistics tables to see the seven mags figures and compare to any other caliber cartridges you wish. for whitetail deer and smaller i think you'll be more than happy with its performance.

chad

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Remington also puts out a new low recoil cartridge for 7mm mag.Little easier on the shoulder at the range.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Bullet size like a 243? umm i think its closer to a 270 :) Hell of a gun have shot one for about 10 years now. There is nothing bad to say about the caliber. Now on guns that's another story everyone is made different.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I gotta agree there. 7Rem Mag is ALOT bigger than a .243, and you can fell i too. :crying:

9. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    i know a guy that uses one to shoot does usually shoots them in the head needless to say you have to drag them by their legs after that

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    absolutely correct you are, my mistake all the way.

the 7mm is matched with a .270
    wheras the .243 is about equal to a 6mm.

guess my memory aint what it used to be LOL :p

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats okay. Off the topic, but I once argued w/ a salesman @ Bass Pro Shop becasue he wasnt going to give me the sale price of some Rugier mini 14 ammo (.223). A sign said Nato 5.56..... (I forgot the exact round) but I was thorwing a crap fit and telling them that they ought to get people in here that knows what they are talkgina bout & stuff like that. Then my dad whispers in my ear, "Bryan thats 5.56.... in other words 25 auto or whatever) I felt like an idiot, while the salesperson was gone to get the manager, we left! I felt like an idiot. So many calibers.... So little time! :D

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Leads to an interesting discussion that has been had many times around the campfire.Why don't we standardize our calibers one way or another. 243 is 6mm ,270 is actually .277 dia I believe and 7mm is .284 dia.In any case the 7mm Mag is a fine rifle for anything you wish to hunt.I've used a 7mm Weaterby for just about everything on this continent and never felt under gunned although I have now gone to a 7mm Rem Ultramag just for fun.I started out using 300 Weatherby mag and it was fine but that 7mm 160 gr boattail spitzer gets down range in a hurry and has a better ballistic coefficient than the 300s 150 grain.

13. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    While I do not own a 7mm personally, a friend of mine does. He has several different caliber rifles and always prefers to use that one.

14. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    7mm great gun i know those are pretty pricey arent they? well good luck in the field with it! killed any with the bow
    quack kills

15. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Yea i got a rem. 700 cdl it was about 650-700 I've heard a lot of good things about it. I aint managed to connect its been a rough season for me I lost an elk in september and missed a doe about two weeks ago, I hope it gets better and i hope i don't screw up the spring turkey season too. You killed any?

16. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    yea i was actually lucky enough for a slick head to cross my tracks and last year i put the rifle away and now im looking for a nice buck to walk my way, but most of all im ready for them greenheads to be circleing me!