7mm Or 30.06 rem.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Cherokee, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Which one would is the best ? 7mm or 30.06 rem.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Either one will work fine for deer hunting. The 7 mag. shoots flater on longer range shots but I personally prefer the 06 as it has a little less kick.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ya 06 is my prefered weapon of choice. Later Andy

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My husband purchased for me years ago before he got hurt and we went hunting together a Winchester 7mm mag.Thanks to it I personally downed a Bison up in South Dakota and I have it on my wall.We were hunting the same location where they filmed "Dances with Wolves" and our guide was not only startled but very pleased because I took aim and put the bullet right next to his ear.The Bull instantly dropped and I was hooked on hunting.However I love my husband too much to go without him so until we get a final word on this whole mess in our lives our guns are all locked up!:too_sad:

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    3006 is the only way to go,because it kicks less,cost less and will drop that bison or most anything else in it's tracks too.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Both will work but I prefer the 30-06 springfield.

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im an indiana boy, shotguns only so i wouldnt kno. i dont see why youd need a rifle anyway unless you are somewhere were theres alot of open space. cuz theres no reason youd need to shoot 300+ yards here, its just not even safe for people living around you.

8. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have personally shot both calibers and yes the 7mm does shoot flatter but the 3006 has less recoil. Both calibers will kill a deer or anything else that you want to shoot, i have chose to go with the 3006 myself. Another thing i like to think about is "what do the armed forces snipers use, .308 or 3006." that is just something that i like to keep in mind when i try to choose a caliber.

9. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    30 06 ammo is very cheap and the most readily available

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the 30.06 is good too tho

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i prefer the 7mm i had a savage with drop out clip synthetic stock with limb saver recoil pad that i recently sold i puchased it for $300. used it one season but needed the money so it had to go , but when i buy my next riffle it will be the same calibur . i like the knock down power and the range , it will reach from ridge top to ridge top its not unheard of to get in that 500 yard shot and proper shot placement one shot one kill .

12. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Both are very good, my preference is a 280 Remington. That round is a 30-06 necked down to 7mm, pleasent to shoot and flat shooting.
    Mark

13. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Pretty hard to beat either one. I have both. If I were going to buy one. Id take which ever I could get the best deal on. The 7mag has the edge if you are doing lots of longer range shooting but at most normal hunting ranges, dead is dead.

14. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've hunter with the 06 for 40 years, its a great caliber and very versatile, the 7mm mag is also a great round, but some of the 7mm rifles I've had were a little picky about what you fed them, more so than most 06's. That said, if deer was the largest game I was going to hunt I wouldn't go with either, the older I get and the more I shoot, the less I like get'n kicked. I've shot several 7mm-08 lately and love the gun, a lot less kick and not that much less performance than a 7mm mag, 270 and 280 are time tested ones too, and the lastly, my next new deer rifle will be a 260, I've shot a couple this year and after looking at the ballistics, I'm in love, short action, flat shooting, 120 or 140 gr bullet and kicks about like a 243, I'm lust'n for one. All that said you can't go wrong with either a 7mm mag or a 30/06, get what you want, if everyone liked the same things they'd only make vanilla ice cream.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think the 30-06 is all you need for any North American game. The bullets are much cheaper and can be found anywhere. Sighted correctly it will shoot dead on from 0 to 350 yards so a flatter trajectory isn't needed unless you are planning shots out to 500 yards. Shots over 250 yards are usually pretty difficult unless you practice a lot, which most hunters don't do, and require very good optics, which are very expensive. If you shoot 1000 meter matches, hunt mountain goats or prairie game at very long ranges, the 7MM is the way to go. For the average deer hunter, you can't beat the 30-06. Factory ammo for 30-06 come in every weight from 55 grain sabot varmint loads to 220 grain moose/bear loads. For practice, you can get 1,000 rounds of military surplus 06 ammo very cheap. The 30-06 has been doing a great job for 100 years.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You cant go wrong with either one. I chose the '06 because of the availibility and price of ammo, but if your reloading it doesnt matter. I say just pick the one that feels best in your hands or you can get the best deal on.

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There both good guns. Personaly I hunt with either my 280 or 7mm mag. Recoil on the 7mm are not as bad as other's make it sound. I have shot 06's that kick more. As far as the cost of ownership I don't know about the rest of you but ammo is the cheapest part of hunting for me. Although like said before my next gun is probably going to be a 260. It don't take much to dump a deer over.

18. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I couldnt begin to agree more.... Every 06 Ive ever shot has just about put me flat on my back. Ive always been good, or lucky, with a 7 mag myself.

Kenny

19. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    For my local deer hunting I prefer my 308 Savage. Deadly accurate. I do own a Rem 7mm Mag and I really like it also. In my opinion the kick isn't too bad. I really like the knock down power when hunting Nilgai and elk. I have shot a few deer and several hogs with it and they pretty much always fall where they are. It definatley puts a hole in em. JMO

20. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    but I have different options. Am going to buy a new(to me) rifle. Two choice as my friend is cleaning out his dad's guns. Both remington.

.270 or .30-06?

Thanks,

MJO