7mm mag

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by SGTREDNECK, Sep 14, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone have any experience with the 7mm mag. I am use to the 300 mag(BAR 300)? Can anyone tell me how close these two rounds are to each other? I can not remember ever shooting a 7mm mag.

2. fishjunkie

fishjunkie New Member

State:
    montana
    for me i would stick with the 300 have no use for the 7mm mag
    had problems with the built hitting bone and blowing up
    ik have the inter arms 300 win with a 28 inch bull barrel and will shoot today and kill tomorrow

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Tim. I never should have sold my 300 BAR. It was one of the finest guns I have ever shot. I shot alot of deer with it, but i was in a tight spot and did what i thought was right. One of two guns I wish i still had. Other is a model 99 300 savage. I am looking for both of them now as we speak. I just saw a 300 rem mag for a good deal, so i was looking to see what others thought of the round.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive had experience with the 7mm mag its not bad really i liked it but to be honest id go with the 300 as well.i just think it would serve you better.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    My go to rifle of choice is the 7mm Rem Mag, in a Winchester Mod 70.

I've killed a bunch of Elk, Mule deer, and, Antelope with it,, have NO complaints...In the past 20 years or so I've carried that rifle.

I use 160 grn Nosler partitions, or Barnes X bullets in 160 gr, and they do a pretty good job.

IF using the lighter bullets,or lesser quality,, they may be subject to coming apart if they're not a quality component,, but, that can happen with any cartridge.

If I'd ended up with a .30 cal, I'm sure it would have done as well. The 7mm compared to the .300 Mags, will hit on par out to 500 yds or so, with comparable weight bullets.
    175 gr in 7mm, and 180 gr in the .30's.

The 7mm loaded with bullets that match the game, will kill anything on the planet in fine fashion.
    An African hunter, used a 7X57 Bolt action Mauser, w/ 173 gr solids, and killed many elephants with brain shots..He had the large double rifles, but, the 7mm ammo was much more available and cheaper,,,,,

6. skipjack1984

skipjack1984 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I own both a 7mm rem mag and a 300 rem mag and i wouldnt choose one over the other i like them both, they both perform pretty similar i always shoot remington core-lokts every deer i have ever shot with them has dropped in there tracks.

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I own a couple of 30 caliber magnums and a 7mm. If I only had one I opt for the 300. The 7MM is a solid all around rifle, that really doesn't kick to hard. I have only shot the 150 Barnes TSX in my 7MM. Very accurate, and will easily penetrate a large mule deer lengthwise. I've never punched an elk with it, as I use larger caliber rifles for elk.

8. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    7mm mag is a good round for anything on this continent. Depends on what your wanting to hunt with it. Little heavy for deer size game and smaller but it will certainly work. 7x57 Mauser is one of my favorite cartridges/rifles.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    7 MM Mag is fine for anything that walks North America with the right Bullet. I think overkill for whitetails. As noted the old 7 mm mauser is a great caliber. I remember one of the old Ivory hunters of Africa, a guy named Bell shot a thousand or so Elephants with his 7 mm Mauser,,,,,,that is before one stomped him to death. He used to shoot them in the ear with a solid and they dropped like a stone. When I was a boy in my outlaw years, my brother and I would regularly head shoot whitetails with 22 LR's while squirrel hunting. Never had one run off. Its all about where you hit em.

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I decided on the 300 BAR. Its the same exact gun I had a few years back except this one has the BOSS system. Makes it alittle louder and takes away 20-30 % of the recoil and can be fine tuned for better accuracy. I never had any problems with my old gun. At 100 yards I could hit a quarter. Here is a link so yall can check it out. Its still got some time on it and 1100 is as high as i am going on this particular gun.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139689584

Anyone ever buy a gun from gun broker? This is my first gun deal. I have bought some bullets for my ML-II the other day.

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I thought I was the only member of that club:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: 7X57 and the 270 Winchester, gotta love them:wink:

12. fishjunkie

fishjunkie New Member

State:
    montana
    right now with the usa freaking out that the pres will take a way our gun there is no such thing as cheap ammo right now
    but remington core lokt 180 shoots real nice out of my 300 but most of the time i reload for it i use imr 4350 with a 250cci primer
    and the 180 horndy bolt tail best group so far was a 4 shoot group at 100 yard that was 5/16

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I know you're looking for a Savage 99 in .300 Savage too. I saw a really nice one on auctionarms.com the other day. It had a cheap Bushnell scope on it, but it was one of the older ones with the rotary magazine that has the brass counter in it. Wood looked good, blue looked good, overall a pretty decent rifle. Listed at $425. I can't find it now. I dont think it sold, but maybe the guy didn't relist it? Might want to keep watching for it.

15. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Chris I forgot about auction arms! Appreciate the tip

16. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Congratulations , on your purchase I prefer a .300 mag. and that one looks sweet.One day I will break down and buy a .300 winchester short mag. I still use a 1955 winchester model 70 in .270 cal. for deer hunting.It probably has less than 70% of the blueing left which is fine with me , the action and bore are sweet.The stock was mint and still had the metal buttplate on it.So I bought a bell and carlson stock for it.Now it looks like a modern parkerized custom rifle with the 4x16 scope. It does weigh a ton though.One day I will finnish my old greek military rifle, a mannlicher schnouer 6.5X54 that I have started to try and clone an original.I never have met a gun I didn't like...

17. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne

18. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Enjoy the new Rifle.

19. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Any rifle is better then none !!

20. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Me too! Ruger #1A in 7x57 is by far the FINEST deer rifle of all time. And, it also comes in .270. :wink: