'79ish 20HP Chrysler

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Shortarms, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just bought a 14 ft jon boat with a 20HP Chrysler. The motor will not reach high RPM's. Compression was 120 and 110. It has a hot spark while cranking. I'm guessing the problem is in the fuel system but I'm not expirienced with 2 stroke outboards. Any tips or suggestions? Also, the starter will only engage the flywheel maybe 1 out of 5 times. The motor will spin and it will throw the drive out but it will not engage. Any ideas?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Curtis the next time you have it out on the water under a load then try squeezing the primer bulb while accelerating and see if it will pick up the RPM'S then
    My best way of doing that is to take a squirt bottle and squirt some in the carb throat while gashing it and if it picks up then this tell me it is fuel related.
    Dropping a coil will make it act the same way.

As for the starter look at the Bendix and see if the teeth are worn down on the edges where it engages the fly wheel. If it just starts to rise and goes to spinning then a good cleaning of the starter shaft is in order and then lube the shaft where the Bendix rises up and down the shaft,

3. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I removed the carb and found what looked like a set screw on the bottom of a shaft that extends into the bowl completely clogged. Is this the jet? I cleaned it and got the engine to run, but it ran poorly. My friend works for Sierra and got a carb kit for $3 and one of the guys there is going to rebuild it. Does anyone know where the water and exhaust should come out of this engine? There are two holes on the rear of the engine that face down and water was coming out of them. I was thinking this was the exhaust and had a bad feeling water was getting in the exhaust somehow. Any thoughts? It's actually a 1980 202HOL.

4. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Should the primer bulb stay hard after the engine is started and running? Should the fuel tank be vented? How fast do you think a 20 HP would push a 14ft jon boat? It's a newer aluminum boat that is bare bones other than a trolling motor and some gear.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The primer bulb should stay firm but not really hard. As to how fast it will push that boat it depends on the set up . Prop and how high the motor sets to the keel of the boat.
    And yes by all means vent the tank. If you don't it will suck the bulb flat trying to get fuel.