798ci NVB bundle or not????

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by Big M, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    :confused2:Hello All! I am brand new to this forum, and I have a question.....I have a 10% off coupon for ebay that is good till January 2nd, midnight, Pacific time. I want to get a 798ci (internal antenna). I decided on this because if later I feel I need the external, I can upgrade. This is a brand new model, which I do not think there is a such thing as a refurbished one yet. I am very new to fishfinders in general, and after many hours of research, I am stuck on one last detail. Should I get the nvb bundle or not.
    For starters, I have no idea if it is one thing you would normally purchase in one chip from navionics, or if the navionics gold, and hotmaps premium are two separate things. I can get this brand new, not refurbished for about 829.00, and for 1009.00 with the bundle, after the 10% off. I don't know if the navionics is of any benefit to me, being that I normally fish small lakes in pennsylvania. ICan anyone help me decide before tomorrow? I am worried that if I get the preloaded nvb bundle, I may not be able to upgrade if necessary, But if it is on a separate chip, will it run slower, or can you load it off the sd card. This new model has two sd slots, so will it even matter? I am all screwed up on this! Thanks in advance for any help.
    MIKE

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Mike

Welcome to the BOC! I bought a 797C2I last year, and had to make the same decision on the NVB. Basically with NVB you get the Navionics Gold and Hotmaps Premium built in the unit, coverage for the entire country. If you opt not to buy the NVB package, you can buy the maps, in the form of an SD card, by region, for something like $149 per region. In the 797, this card would take up the only available slot, which is a bummer. If the 798 has 2 slots, I would say that that is a nice improvement.

Here is a list of lakes that the NVB covers.. http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedF...es/Cartography_-_GPS_-_Maps/NVB_Lake_List.pdf

I got the NVB, $100 more in my case, and while I wasn't sure when I ordered, I've done more traveling around than I expected and it's been a big help. With your $180 price difference between NVB and non NVB, it's a tough call. Since your unit has 2 SD slots, I'd be tempted to hold off and just buy the maps separately when and if needed.

3. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    Do you feel that there is any advantage to purchasing the unit with the nvb package already loaded? I will only be using it in the northeast. I willl have to decide before midnight pst. I have never used any of these items, including just a basic fishfinder, so anything, especially side imaging sonar will be a huge help. Thanks for replying quickly. MIKE

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Well, it's nice to just have it, and not have to worry about the separate purchase or about losing an SD card someday. You can never update the NVB itself, but my understanding is that if you insert a card with maps, the card will take precedence over the built in ones. I think there are also menu options on the unit for turning off the NVB maps. As far as I know, there is no performance difference between having the built in NVB maps and using a card, but if there is, it would just be the startup time I think, and not something you would notice when using the unit.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike and thanks for the post. Thanks for the answers Gary.

6. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    Thank you all for the help on this, even though I am still just 80% sure if am getting the most bang for the buck by going with the one already loaded. Is it really like getting all the regions that humminbird sells in separate chips into one? I am just debating what would the exact same bundle cost if purchased separate from the unit, plus the convenience factor of having it inherent to the unit without worrying about losing sd cards. I shall decide in the next few hours......:0a35:

7. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    I bought a 798 with the nvb package with it. Hopefully should be in sometime next week. I don't know when I will first get to try it, being it will be a while till the boating season comes in for Pennsylvania, but its good to beat the rush! Thanks again for all the great input!
    MIKE

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    who did you buy from?

9. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I bought the 797c2 back in April,I love the unit but I and have only a few suggestions w/ the unit:

#1- get the external antenna,the GPS signal can be blocked thru even a bimini top
    #2-Lowrance has a much better sonar than the Humminbird,but Humminbird has much better GPS (NVB is well worth the $$$ and will leave you with an open SD card slot )
    #3-The unit loses the bottom past 21 mph,no matter how I adjust the transducer)

I sent mine back to Humminbird for a "courtesy upgrade" and the service was top notch,I had it back in 3 days.

10. screamnclickersc

State:
    S.C.
    I think you'll like the new big screen on the 798

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Huh? Jimmy, what exactly is a "courtesy upgrade". :smile2:

12. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    You can also get another "high speed" transducer, which I highly recommend. As mentioned above, you will lose the bottom at relatively low speeds using the only the behemoth transducer. And yes, Lowrance has much better 2d.

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have tinkered with the adjustment on my transducer the last few times out and i finally have it were it will hold bottom over 30mph.. just took a little patience:smile2:

14. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    Thank you all for the input! Speed shouldn't be an issue for me, because most of the fishing that I do is on reservoirs where they do not even allow gasoline motors. At the moment, all I have in the line of gas motors is an old Chrysler 2.5hp pushing a 16ft s'canoe. I am in the market for a jon boat that will probably have at least a 15 hp motor on it. I am just waiting for the deal to come up on either ebay, or the local papers. Biga asked who I bought it from. They're called Poor Fish Outdoors. The buy it now price was 1099.00 and I had the 10% coupon, which took it down to 999.00. That seems to be the bottom price for the one with the maps built in.
    MIKE

15. screamnclickersc

State:
    S.C.
    Mine kept powering down & losing trails,they said it was an old software version- they updated the software & memory for free,BUT it cost me $42 to send it UPS!That can be a good lesson,when you buy Humminbirds(or any) that set on the shelf for a while,i'd check to see if it has current software.:wink:

16. Big M

Big M New Member

State:
    Pa
    Well, It arrived here day before yesterday. I really haven't done much with it so far, aside frome taking it out of the box to look at it, and reading the manual during breaks at work. I wont be able to boat-test it probably for a while, but i thought about trying it through the ice at a lake or even in my koi pond. I guess you can attach the transducer to a wooden pole or something???? I have been also thinking of a way to mount it to a boat where it can break away if it hits anything that will damage the transducer. I hae some time to think before the boating season. I can hardly wait......

17. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I have a 997 (same thing only bigger). I have had it on everything from a 16' canoe to a 50' houseboat. I took the motor off the bottom of an old trolling motor and made a bracket to mount the transducer and the speed wheel. The GPS puck is mounted on the top of the unit. It is remarkably adjustable both up and down, side to side, and attaches to almost any boating situation with the trolling motor's original transom mount. It takes me about 30 seconds to mount it and there are no screw holes so it can even go on a rental boat. On the canoe, it mounts on the side same as a trolling motor.

Hope this gives you an idea or two on how versatile they can be. Enjoy your Humminbird - These things are a lot of fun.

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You could play through the ice, but I'm doubtful you would find that very interesting. It really relies on boat movement for you to see anything much more more than just lines. If you power it up without the transducer it will come up in demo mode, and you can play with it like that. The demo data has a simulation of fish and structure, it runs a course on the GPS side, and you can also zoom around and find your local lakes.

I mounted a little plastic plate, marine starboard actually, and put the transducer on that. I think the screws would pull out of that before the transducer would break, but the main reason I did it like that was so I could experiment with the position without putting a bunch of holes in the boat.