797 hummingbird

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by wildhunter066, Jul 29, 2008.

1. wildhunter066

wildhunter066 New Member

State:
    missouri
    hello i am new to this forum and glad i found it i am buying a new boat and thinking of putting on a 797 i was wondering can you view the traditional 2d sonar on it while viewing the side imaging? Can you only watch the 2d sonar? How well does it work in murky water river fishing conditions? Is the screen big enough to really see all the diffferent views? Any help would greatly be appreciated thanks

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome aboard Jake! You will get more info than you think before long, also check out the library area on electronics...... :big_smile:

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have the 997 it can show both, one or other or many other screens such as bottom lock and zoom. I'm pretty sure 797 is the same. I like mine. and use split screen on most occasions. Good unit and SI gives clear image of the bottom, fish dont show as well on side image but regular sonar does a good job. as far as murky water it works as well as any other, SI is also sonar (not a camera) so works fine.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I had the 797 for a year and just upgraded to the 1197. If you can afford to go bigger just do it, you'll be much happier.

5. Wudman

Wudman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have the 797. It has multiple split screen views. 2D and the side imaging are one that is available. The screen is pretty small with the split views. I mounted it on the console, and have no problems seeing it. I really like the side imaging.

Wudman

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just wondering if you had made a purchase, and if so, what did you get? I was thinking about that when I was looking at some screen shots from a trip on Monday. I've attached a snapshot from my unit that shows both the standard sonar view and the side imaging. The pic is actually a vehicle on the bottom about 50 yards downstream from the boat ramp.

Attached Files:

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That pic is a GREAT example of what side imaging can do for you in identifying structure. The 2d shot definately leaves you guessing about what you see. The si clearly shows a car! I love my 1197. Lowrance has better 2d but the Humminbird si is the cool stuff right now!

Thanks for the pic.:big_smile:

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Today, a friend went with me and dove down to investigate what I thought was a vehicle, and he found a Red Suzuki Verona, and even managed to get the license plate info (expired 05/05) so it apparently has been there for several years. Trunk was open and windows rolled down, but couldn't really see inside very well. He stuck his arm inside, but didn't probe around too much for fear of a large flathead catfish attack. :wink:
    We plan to notify LE tomorrow.

Attached Files:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC, Jake the 797 is nice , the 997 is great,but the 1197 is AWSOME !!!

10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    A friend of mine has the 797 and I wish I could afford one. I just bought an eagle 480 with GPS and like it so far. But if I could have afforded the 797 that would have been the one I would have bought. 1000 dollars is a big chunk of change,

Tom

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tom, that 480 is a good unit; I have one without the gps, and I learned so much from using it that I just had to move on to color and more power. The Lowrance/Eagle is a better standard sonar, at least in my opinion, but the side imaging is a nice tool to have. Without the si, I would never have known that the structure on the down sonar (top) was actually a submerged vehicle, so that is great info. I also have a Lowrance lms-337cdf mounted on the console. I like the 797 for the money, but the larger screen of the 997 or 1197 would be better for detail.

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Tommy I went back out tonight with the new eagle. Had it set a little better and leveled the transducer today. Wasnt off to bad but I have trouble leaving well enough alone:smile2:. I like it so far. Just to many options to learn. Have to read a little play with the unit and go to the next thing. Good luck to you with your fishing.

Tom

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I found something that I think is another submerged vehicle, just off the end of a boat ramp in about 17' of water. The target is circled, and if you look further down, there is a huge sunken barge, probably 40 x 120 ft. or bigger. What do you guys think of it? I haven't confirmed that it is a vehicle yet, but I plan to go back asap and crop a magnet down. Don't plan to dive down to it in the cold temps.
    [​IMG]

14. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    blackwaterkatz: In your posted thumbnail of the "car", acording to the depth reading on your 797 screenshot, the image is in 6 1/2 ' of water. It may be a "car" but if it is, it is about 10" long. For it to be a correct proportion of depth/car the water would have to be around 75' deep. I'm not trying to start a problem here, and am thinking that the wrong screenshot got posted. The same problem occurs in the last posting of "Anoher submerged vehicle". If that is 17' of water, again the "car" is way too small.

I am not trying to start a problem, just saying.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My take from the 2D is that the object is about 3.5 feet tall, coming up from 7.5' to 4' depth. From the 3D image, it looks like the boat passed over the trunk, which would make the height seem reasonable for a car.. Looking at the left pane of the 3D, we see a 35' swath, and the object takes up about a third of the width of the pane. Since it also shows up a little in the right pane, I'm thinking that the left pane doesn't include the entire car... There is a little bit of overlap on the 3D, so it's hard to be sure, but a 12-14 foot length seems reasonable. I could be missing something, but if not this could easily be a small car. Since the diver found a Suzuki Verona, I'd say those figures are not too far off.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Russel, the car in the first pic (the one you copied to) was actually recovered by the local Rescue Squad and Sheriff's office and confirmed to be a car, as I posted earlier.
    The latest pic was viewed from a recording that I made, using a program called SIview, which allows one to make measurements. The barge actually measured at roughly 44' x 150', and the car (if that's what it is) is a little harder to measure because of the angle on the bottom, but it is directly in line with the boat ramp, which is to the right in the pic. The water depth here was 17-19' deep, but you can't measure into the water column. The bottom is all that count's, really.
    I have not had a chance to go back and get better shot yet, but will try to do so next week, and carry a magnet to at least confirm if it's metal. Once I do that, if I still think it's a vehicle, I'll notify law enforcement.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gary, you're on the right track. I did indeed pass over the trunk, as confirmed by the dive. The water column can be misleading. If you can visualize removing the water column, and sliding the two halves of the bottom together, then you will see a more accurate display of what's actually on the bottom, although sometimes it may seem a little distorted due to boat movement, direction, etc.

18. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    This thumbnail is of our diving board which was washed off in a flood. It is an oak 2 X 12 that is 12' long. My son retrieved it and we re-installed it. As you can see, it looks a lot bigger than the car. This is what I based my remarks on.

19. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Obviously, speed will make a difference, as does the angle of approach. I did some research on this and found this thumbnail which agree's with your picture. The owner of the screen shot says it is a BMW.

I appologise profusely, but I think you can see with my diving board, why I felt that way.

Someone once said "It's better to be quiet and thought as a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, no apology necessary at all, Russell. I have only had this unit for a few months, and still learning each trip out. The side imaging is a neat tool, but it is entirely different to decipher, I think, than is regular sonar. I've found when looking at things on the bottom, to mentally disregard the center, or water column. That is the transducer looking straight down below the boat. The side imaging picks up and extends to either side of the boat, and that's where most of the interest is. As I said, I think I may have found another vehicle, but I haven't confirmed it yet. The reason I posted here was to get any feedback that others may have. Thanks for your viewpoint. :0a31:
    BTW, I think that vehicle in the picture you posted is actually upside down. I'm pretty sure I see the four tires.
    "Someone once said "It's better to be quiet and thought as a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt". My Dad used to tell me the same thing.