78 mercury m800 Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by maxcain, Aug 2, 2007.

1. maxcain

maxcain New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi

I have a problem with the motor that I know is electrical but not sure what or were to start. The problem is when taking off after the motor has first been ran it wont throttle up. the third and fourth cylinders dont have fire to them. at least i think thats what is happening. I was told that the stator has a high and a low function. is this true and if so do you think that? that is the problem (a bad stator.) or the coils. I was told that the coils are pretty hardy and don't fail that often. Is there a way for me to check the stator myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Maxcain

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The stator does have a high and low run system. You need to test that stator to see if it has any weak spots in it and the trigger assy. The switch box you can't test. The trigger assy will make two cylinders fall out like that. Most stators will fall completely out and will not fire at all.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks Willard, he's new and was in chat yesterday evenin' askin' us about this. I told him as soon as you got on, you'd see and answer his question.