'77 Mercury outboard cuts out at top speed

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by scline999, Jan 14, 2007.

1. scline999

scline999 New Member

State:
    Highland Village,TEXAS
    My 1977 mercury 115hp outboard cuts out at top speed. It runs fine untill it's topped out. Then it just dies as if the throttle was pulled back. Sometimes it will die and others it just slows to an idle. Any suggestions?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Scott does it die out real fast or just dies down slowly? Next time you have it out try choking it and see if it will pick back up. If it does then you are haveing fuel problems. If choking helps then post back and we will go from there.

3. scline999

scline999 New Member

State:
    Highland Village,TEXAS
    Bubbakat it dies out slowly. But I will try choking it next time I take it out. I'm in Dallas and we are actualy getting a lot of artic weather right now. Hopefully I'll get it out in the next couple of days. Thanks for the post and I will let you know.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it is dieing out slowley then most likely its fuel related. Could be a pump problem or a hole in the line sucking air and running the carb dry of fuel.
    Grab that primmer bulb and squeeze the heck out of it and see if that helps.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    When the time comes, look to see that you can squeeze the bulb, and there's not a restriction in the fuel delivery from the tank.