77 mercruiser HELP

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by kscathunter, Mar 24, 2008.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I'm trying to bring my dads old boat out from its lonely spot behind the garage and out on the water to help me get on some better cats. we got it tagged and legal and took it out on the lake to see what all needed done. we primed and started it before we left started and ran good +. got to the lake put the plugs in, pushed the button to raise the prop nothing -:angry: pushed the down button it worked ok. so we then figured the props proped up we can just putt around and see what else is wrong. went to put it in the water and water starts running in -. turns out the shift cable bellows torn letting water in-. we then decided hey its got a bilge pump its not leaking that bad lets still try it out. should have stoped their and went home :roll_eyes:. so were now out on a leaking boat that wont trim:embarassed: we cruise around a bit, motor running ok i decided to stop and fish a bit so we droped ancor and casted out about a half hour goes by we decide to move boat wont start-. so we brake out the paddle and roe to shore were we ran a ground about 10' from shore:angry: by the time we got the boat closer to the bank i decided what the heck and tryed to start it, fired right up. i guess it turns out it was vapor locked. what a day:roll_eyes:. so now i got to figure out why the props not raising and how to change a shift cable bellow....any ideas?? i think the vapor lock thing was because of a bad thermostat and the blower hose needing re routing so that should be an easy fix.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clean all the connections to the solenoid switch that contriols the up side and see if it works if it doesn't then will need to be replaced But I would measure the volts going to it before replaceing to make sure its not the switch doing it.

3. steelytom

steelytom New Member

State:
    Cola, SC
    I would bet it is the switch, it usually is if it goes one way and not the other.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well the boat had two solenoids one for the starter and one to raise the prop so we took the one for the starter and switched it and guess what the prop went up:big_smile: so my next question is will any 4 post continous duty solenoid work? the online boat stores sell univsal solenoids so im guessing the cheepest 4 post solenoid that i can get should get should work????? even if it says its for something else.:confused2:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    For those T&T Solenoids I useually go to a place that sells them hangon the wall in a blister pack for lawn mowers and can get them for about 10 bucks works fine.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thanks thats just what i wanted to hear.:cool2:

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well the new solenoid got the prop going up and down :wink: but now i cant figure out why its getting hot we checked the thermostat and their wasent one:confused2: so im thinking thats not it we pulled the water pump and all the fins look good and bearings tight :confused2: so im thinking thats not either. i blew through the inlet hose, the exhust seems to be discharging:confused2:. the only thing i can think of is maybe fuel mixture to lean or maybe the timing off a bit .... it usually starts up pretty good, for being 30 some but when it runs for a while it starts getting hot and if you shut it off when its hot it may not start???????????:embarassed:

8. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Check the impeller in the lower unit. You should install a thermostat too. Buy a Mercruiser shop manual. You can install the impeller backwards in one if you don't pay attention to the direction.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well thank you i hope thats the problem if not it probally needs new because we got it apart and it looks like the impeller was spinning on the key thats supposed to keep it from turning.