77 johnson 15hp wont stay running

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Prowler, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hello was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what wrong with my 77 johnson 15hp.

Long story short the engine will start but will not stay running, engine has great spark, good compression, and just rebuilt the carb. But it's still doing the same thing as before runs for 10seconds or so and then dies. What other things could be causing this problem?

please help.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Check the fuel system all the way from the pick up tube in the tank to the pump for stoppage and air leaks. The check the fuel pump to see if its doing its job.
    Have you tied to pump the bulb while it running to keep it from dieing?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    BubaKat is 99% right - and maybe 100%. Pay real close attention to the fuel system. Cheap as it is, you may want to replace all fuel lines and rebuild the fuel pump. The diaphragm could be slightly brittle and not oscillate as it should.

4. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I will have to check the fuel pump not sure about that. but the carb was in great shape after the rebuild.

is there any chance that this could be some kind of electrical malfunction (bad stator)

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I won't rule it out but most times when a stator goes south it stayes south. Not interment like that. If you pump the bulb and it runs while its being pumped then you are in an essance acting for the fuel pump. If you can't get to the builb quick enough just have a squirt bottle with some premix in it to sparay in the carb throat.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They are notorious when you get leak in hoses!! And frustrating!!!:tounge_out: