'77 Evinrude 35hp stuck in gear

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mr.T, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    We were out trying to run some jug lines last night and the old reliable 77 Evinrude 35hp suddenly became stuck in gear. It's normally very smooth shifting with the remote control and was suddenly just plain stuck.

We found that with enough brute force we could get it to neutral and reverse, and the engine seems to run just fine in gear - no strange noises or anything. But shifting is almost impossible - we had to disengage the remote control cable and really bear down on it to get it to move.

Fortunately, the neutral lock-out switch was disconnected long ago by some previous owner, so we were able to start with it in gear. But it sure made for a fun evening of trying to run the jugs.

Before we tear into the lower unit, can you give me any idea what might be wrong and how extensive the repair might be? We have the service manual but maybe this is one best left for the professionals?

Thanks!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    This might take some hands on investigation.

Drop the lower unit, disconnecting the shift linkage from it. Now see where your problem shifting is. In the mid-section linkage or in the lower unit.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the reply - just got a call from my dad who says he found the problem.

Apparently the setscrew that adjusts the neutral lock-out switch had rattled out and the nut from that screw was impeding the throw of the shift lever. So it turns out to be a much less serious problem (though we apparently bent or otherwise banged up parts of the shift mechanism by forcing it).

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I should've said along with the hands on investigation, that a good visual check be one of the first things before turning a wrench.

Your dad's a good man.

It's not the easiest thing to do while your on the water. It's danged aggrivating to say the least, when something goes wrong.