*77 Anybody ever heard of this?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Fishmaster1203, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    This was just e mailed to me...
    I knew about the red light on cars, but not the *77. It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. Lauren's parents have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road , but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc.
    Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called * 77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars near where she was and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.
    Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her along with the unmarked car behind her.
    One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes, including previous Impersonating an Officer charges.
    I never knew about the*77 Cell Phone feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe & quiet place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) and call *77 like Lauren did.
    Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally give you this little bit of wonderful information.
    Speaking to a service representative at BellSouth Mobility, he confirmed that *77 was a direct link to state trooper info in all states. So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about *77.
    Send this to every woman (or person) you know; it may save a life.

2. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    It's on a lot of state trooper websites. We've known about it for quite some time. It's "supposed" to be ALL cellphones, but luckily we have never had to use it to find out. Go to your state's trooper website and you should see it somewhere there.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
  4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    www.truthorfiction.com says the same that part of this is true and part is not. Here's what I got off that site:

So apparently some states do use that. Depends on where you are though. Snopes says some use *55 and so on....

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's *55 here. It is posted on the Interstate.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info Paul, good thing to remember !

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the infro Brother reps to ya:smile2:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
  9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    great story and advice!! thanks for the post and reps too you!!

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the link to the correct info.

That old email forward has probably mislead some people over the years. Like so many of the forwards that hang around on the internet.

One would think 911 would work in every state... everyone can remember that one. :cool2:

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have always used 911. used it a time or 2 on the interstate , its always worked for me. its nice to know about other numbers. But if i couldnt get through, I would call friend or family on phone list and let them make the call .
    there is always options.
    The un marked cars. yes IMO its better to pull over in a populated area if you have any doubts as to who it is and why your being pulled over.
    Like mention, show a sign you acknowledge them and drive normal to a populated place when pulling over. I would also call the emergency number, I use 911 and let the dispatch know so they can radio back to officer what your doing.
    Now days, anything can happen.

I will pass this inf. to my wife, my Daughter in law and others. thanks for a good reminder.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As mentioned, in Oklahoma you can use *55 to be connected directly to the nearest Highway Patrol dispatcher. You have to tell them your location (Highway, mile marker, road intersection, etc) so they can get your relative position... I have used it several times to report apparent drunk drivers, people throwing lit cigarettes out of the window during a burn ban, disabled vehicles with people waiting for assistance, and an accident. They have always been courteous and appear to appreciate the information. Know what... I usually pull over to the side of the road when I'm talking to them just in case they ask if I am driving. LOL

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Wow..

That is great info to know and I am glad Lauren knew that. What a great story and great ending. Lauren is a hero to keep her cool and do what she did in aiding of the capture of that guy. No tellin how many other women she has saved from him.

We had one guy doing stuff like that here a few years ago. Except down here he was the blue light rapist. I sure this scenario has been passed around from rapist to rapist so I am sure that there are many others in all the states that do this to get to their victims. This great info will help get those creeps off the streets.

14. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Thanks for that link that's VERY informative, and I feel the same the email has misled LOTS of people.