76' Johnson, yet again......

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Salmonid, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im back again, I swear this motor I have is making me go crazy!!
    History on the Johnson 35 hp, 76 model with controls.

June, had problems with power, it started and ran fine, but no power underload, we took carb apart and cleaned, tried again, now wouldnt stay started? so I took to mechanic, who replaced points, condenser,plugs ( I think) 1 coil and replaced a stator thingmajig, ($200) so 3 weeks later I get it back, runs like a champ!! 2nd time out has no power again, but in a different way, mechanic has me put new gas in and turn up the lean/rich screw, and next time out runs as good as new! now last night I get it out and spend an hour trying to start the dern thing, just cranks and cranks???? fiddled with choke, bulb,pulled caps off of plugs but didnt have wrench with me to verify spark but it seems like there is no spark, I pulled the gas line and it squirted gas all over the place so it was fine, It never even tried to turn over???

so I get it home and pulled plugs, they looked ok ( black with oil) but will replace anyways since its cheap, then after that, Im not sure where to go with this? remember Im mechanically challenged so if there is something to check, please give specifics.

Any help would be great!
    Salmonid

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Most wouldnt like my advice on this one but here goes. Since you took it to a mechanic and your now still having problems either take it to a real mechanic that knows what he is doing or een better get rid of the thing and buy a new motor. Sounds like the mechanic you took it to aint much of one since your right back to having problems. As for me saying get a newer motor I myself wont own a old motor like that to hard to get parts to many problems with them.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I actually trust the mechanic, he did a lot of work for a reasonable price, but I do believe your right about having an older motor, I already want to sell it and replace with a newer 9.9 tiller ( for all of our 9.9 lakes around here) but I have to get it running good first:crazy: I already have it listed locally but its not the best time of year to sell motors. I also know that Ebay is NOT the way to go since your limited to local pickups.

Thanks for the input!
    Salmonid

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Wet plugs... wonder if you flooded the motor the very first thing, then kept agravating the situation by trying to choke it or other things to get it started. On my older motor (71 Johnson) I have got in the habit of first trying to start it as though it was warm....crank a few times and get nothing, then I raise the warm start lever and crank some more.... still nothing, then I start all the little checks of is it getting gas, is my lines crimped, is the plugs firing, etc...still nothing...I yell for my friend fuzz face who could make a dead dog bark.... still nothing... then It is Bubbakat and BobPaul time. That usually resolves the issue.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    IT IS POSSIBLE AFTERCRANKING ON IT FOR A WHILE i FLOODED IT OUT, BUT...IT DIDNT TURN OVER TO START WITH AND THEN i ADDED A SINGLE CLICK OF THE SHOKE AND STILL NOTHING ETC,BUT iM SURE AFTER A FEW MINUTES OF MESSING WITH IT, i HAD IT FLOODED, ETC, ( i COULD SMELL A LITTLE GAS) BUT i WAITED A WHILE AND KEPT CRANKING, i IMAGINE AFTER WHILE OF CRANKING, IT WOULD TURN OVER EVENTUALLY, RIGHT???
    SALMONID

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mark, One thing I have to question here is this. Did the mechanic actually tell you he replaced the points and condensers?

Those old motors aren't that prone to break down as it may seem and parts aren't that hard to find.

If that motor you have has points then it is a pre 74 not a 76 This after noon I will post you some checks to do to revive that old gal.